Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > The luckiest soldier in the British Army

The luckiest soldier in the British Army

Aardvark

And he carries on in a quiet and businesslike way, typical of the Brit
squaddie.

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8007565.stm>

Another soldier from the Royal Irish Regiment of the British Army. Just
as lucky and just as businesslike. No unnecessary gung-ho behaviour.

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7629000/7629188.stm>

philo

Aardvark wrote:
> And he carries on in a quiet and businesslike way, typical of the Brit
> squaddie.
>
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8007565.stm>
>
> Another soldier from the Royal Irish Regiment of the British Army. Just
> as lucky and just as businesslike. No unnecessary gung-ho behaviour.
>
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7629000/7629188.stm>

Indeed, he was very lucky

A friend of mine was not quite so lucky many years ago in Viet Nam

he was shot in the head. The bullet entered about 1 1/2 inches below
his eye...and went out the back of his neck. Amazingly it did not hit
anything vital...and he eventually recovered fairly well.

He had a speech impediment for *many* years and his eyes did not quite
line up...but he lived . The bullet at least missed his brain and spinal
cord.

The Army was not even going to discharge him...but his father contacted
his Congressman.

BTW: My friend is a Canadian citizen who got drafted by the US Army
because he is a US resident. He could have simply gone home to Canada
and not have been considered a draft dodger.