Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Bookmarks gone walkabout in SeaMonkey

Bookmarks gone walkabout in SeaMonkey

Charani

Some two thirds of my bookmarks suddenly vanished last night for no
apparent reason.

I'd been looking at a site I've used dozens of times before (IMDB),
closed SeaMonkey, opened it again a few minutes later to check another
site (BBC News) - and suddenly realised that most of my bookmarks
weren't there any more.

I had hoped they'd be back this morning when I booted up but no such
luck (

Any quick and easy way to get them back short of reinstalling
SeaMonkey or changing to Firefox, please?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Charani wrote:
> Some two thirds of my bookmarks suddenly vanished last night for no
> apparent reason.
>
> I'd been looking at a site I've used dozens of times before (IMDB),
> closed SeaMonkey, opened it again a few minutes later to check another
> site (BBC News) - and suddenly realised that most of my bookmarks
> weren't there any more.
>
> I had hoped they'd be back this morning when I booted up but no such
> luck (
>
> Any quick and easy way to get them back short of reinstalling
> SeaMonkey or changing to Firefox, please?

close SM, then search your hard drive for a file called
bookmarks.bak. Once found rename it to bookmarks.html
and place it in the SM profile directory. Did that work?

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Charani

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:00:04 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
wrote:

> close SM, then search your hard drive for a file called
> bookmarks.bak. Once found rename it to bookmarks.html
> and place it in the SM profile directory. Did that work?

The closest I can find is bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak and it's in
Mozilla\Profiles\default\2izpohut.slt

There's also an HTML doc in the same folder but the bookmarks aren't
exactly the same. There are two other HTML docs in the profile both
of which are the basic ones from when SeaMonkey is first downloaded
and installed on a machine.

Charani

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:23:01 +0100, Charani wrote:

> The closest I can find is bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak

I tried to rename it and couldn't because a file of that name already
exists! So, no, it didn't work (

Charani wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:23:01 +0100, Charani wrote:
>
>> The closest I can find is bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak

> I tried to rename it and couldn't because a file of that name already
> exists! So, no, it didn't work (

you need to close SM first. Rename bookmarks.html to
bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Charani

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
wrote:

> you need to close SM first.

It was closed.

> Rename bookmarks.html to
> bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back (

Charani wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> wrote:
>
>> you need to close SM first.

> It was closed.
>
>> Rename bookmarks.html to
>> bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

> Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back (

how about bookmarks.temp? Or bookmarks anything? Do
you see any unusual bookmark files?

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Leonidas Jones

Charani wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> wrote:
>
>> you need to close SM first.

> It was closed.
>
>> Rename bookmarks.html to
>> bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

> Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back (

I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
program can save a lot of angst.

Lee

Leonidas Jones

Ed Mullen wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Charani wrote:

>>> It was closed.

>>> Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back (

>> I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
>> answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
>> program can save a lot of angst.
>>
>> Lee

> It may not help after the fact, Lee, but it is the very best advice to
> give. Good for you.
>
> http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.php
>
> I have three backup drives on my main system which store automated
> backups from four computers on my LAN. I expect one or more of them to
> die at some time. And I expect the drive on the main system to die
> sometime. So, I've got three backups of critical files on USB hard
> drives. And I periodically make DVD copies of those backups.
>
> Paranoid? No. Backed up? Yep!
>
> The last drive I bought was a 500 Gb USB drive for $80. Pretty cheap.
> Before I had a a plan for backup and recovery I suffered a system crash.
> It cost me a week of 8-hour (plus) days to recover. No more.

On my Mac's and my wife's, I have Time Machine doing its thing using two
500 GB drives, and one 1 TB drive. If the main drive dies on any
machine, I can boot from the backup, and restore everything.

However, I have most of my most vital files stored on a 32 GB flash
drive. Its like bringing my computer with me in my pocket. That
includes all my email.

The only thing is, Time Machine does not backup USB drives.

I have the data on the flash drive backed up to three different
locations on my home network, and the truly vital files to an internet
backup.

A couple of months ago, the flash drive failed. I bought a new drive,
and restored from backup. There were a few files that were corrupted,
but among 3 backups, I was able to restore everything easily.

You have never been more correct, paranoid, no, backed up yes!

Lee

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
>>> answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
>>> program can save a lot of angst.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> It may not help after the fact, Lee, but it is the very best advice to
>> give. Good for you.
>>
>> http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.php
>>
>> I have three backup drives on my main system which store automated
>> backups from four computers on my LAN. I expect one or more of them
>> to die at some time. And I expect the drive on the main system to die
>> sometime. So, I've got three backups of critical files on USB hard
>> drives. And I periodically make DVD copies of those backups.
>>
>> Paranoid? No. Backed up? Yep!
>>
>> The last drive I bought was a 500 Gb USB drive for $80. Pretty cheap.
>> Before I had a a plan for backup and recovery I suffered a system
>> crash. It cost me a week of 8-hour (plus) days to recover. No more.
>>

> On my Mac's and my wife's, I have Time Machine doing its thing using two
> 500 GB drives, and one 1 TB drive. If the main drive dies on any
> machine, I can boot from the backup, and restore everything.
>
> However, I have most of my most vital files stored on a 32 GB flash
> drive. Its like bringing my computer with me in my pocket. That
> includes all my email.
>
> The only thing is, Time Machine does not backup USB drives.
>
> I have the data on the flash drive backed up to three different
> locations on my home network, and the truly vital files to an internet
> backup.
>
> A couple of months ago, the flash drive failed. I bought a new drive,
> and restored from backup. There were a few files that were corrupted,
> but among 3 backups, I was able to restore everything easily.
>
> You have never been more correct, paranoid, no, backed up yes!
>
> Lee

thats more than what I've done. All I've got is my SM
password files, and my bookmarks, and thats it. I
don't need anything else.