Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: computer won't recognize printer - sometimes

Re: computer won't recognize printer - sometimes

Dave

"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> AcerPower Series - Windows XP Pro
> HP Photosmart D7560
>
> Recently purchased and installed the printer with no apparent problems.
> However, upon occasion Windows suddenly decides it can't find the printer.
> I have 4 usb ports in the rear of the computer and 2 in front. Usually I
> have the mouse, scanner and printer connected to 3 of the 4 ports in the
> rear. When the printer fails I've tested the port by switching the
> printer and mouse ports. The mouse works no matter which port it is
> plugged into and the printer fails no matter which of the four rear ports
> it is plugged into. I've tried two different usb cables to no avail. The
> printer will always print a printer status report so the printer seems to
> be working.
>
> This has happened 3 or 4 times now. I've tried the trouble shooting
> suggestions offered by HP and Windows but nothing seems to work. It
> repeatedly tells me the printer is offline, but no amount of manually
> checking or unchecking the offline option helps. I either get a printer
> offline error or some vague printer error. Sometimes Windows will
> acknowledge something is trying to connect but will tell me it is an
> unknown device. A couple of times it tells me it is a high speed device
> trying to load on a load speed usb port and that it may not work as fast
> as desired. I can't get it to go ahead and load and switching to one of
> the other rear ports makes no difference. On one instance I removed the
> printer and reinstalled to no avail. I've rebooted and emptied the temp
> folders - nothing. In another instance, I had the shop install another
> new and larger hard drive as well as testing all the ports. The ports all
> test fine. When I brought the computer home the printer loaded fine. I
> thought the problem may have been lack of space on the original hard
> drive.
>
> However, today the problem reoccurred. I could not get Windows to
> recognize the printer using any of the back ports, but when plugged into
> one of the front ports it started to work just fine (just like it did on
> the very first failure). That time I eventually plugged it back into one
> of the rear ports at a later date and it worked just fine. No idea why or
> what happened to bring it back online.
>
> Here is some random information that may or may not pertain. Before the
> last two failures, I had set adobe acrobat distiller as the default
> printer. I did several print jobs and even printed to the HP printer while
> adobe was the default printer. Twice the problem occurred when I switched
> the default printer back to the HP printer. Also my two kids use the
> front ports for their iPods. I've not tried printing while the iPods were
> plugged in but it is possible it was too much of a load?
>
> Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. Please know I'm very
> much the computer novice so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance!

Try a "fatter" USB cable... I have a WD portable drive that did the same
ting you are describing and I switched to a fatter USB cable and now it
workx fine.