Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Shared folder not working?! Please help!

Shared folder not working?! Please help!

Bob

Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Issue regarding wireless home networking. I set up a home network ensuring
both computer's (two on the network) have the same workgroup name. Both
computers appear on the network however the problems lies with one computer
sharing files (the other is able to).

The computer that files are not being shared can access the computer whose
files can be shared. I am unsure what I have done wrong. To clear up what ive
done:

1. Set up wireless home network with both computer's using same network name.
2. Shared folders on each computer, of which only one seems to work.

Suspicion: On the computer whose not sharing, on 'My Network Places' the
folder im attempting to share is being displayed in the 'Local Network'
section rather than the 'Internet Section' where the other computers shared
files are being displayed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Bob.

Bob

Thanks for the reply Frank.

File sharing is at level 5 thus completely accessible on both computers.
Login and password are identical.

The error message I get is 'The network path could not be found'. It seems
one computer is not detecting the other on the network.

Gordon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply Frank.
>
> File sharing is at level 5

What do you mean by this?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Jack-MVP

Hi
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
>
> Issue regarding wireless home networking. I set up a home network ensuring
> both computer's (two on the network) have the same workgroup name. Both
> computers appear on the network however the problems lies with one
> computer
> sharing files (the other is able to).
>
> The computer that files are not being shared can access the computer whose
> files can be shared. I am unsure what I have done wrong. To clear up what
> ive
> done:
>
> 1. Set up wireless home network with both computer's using same network
> name.
> 2. Shared folders on each computer, of which only one seems to work.
>
> Suspicion: On the computer whose not sharing, on 'My Network Places' the
> folder im attempting to share is being displayed in the 'Local Network'
> section rather than the 'Internet Section' where the other computers
> shared
> files are being displayed.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Bob.

Chuck [MVP]

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:36:01 -0700, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
>
>Issue regarding wireless home networking. I set up a home network ensuring
>both computer's (two on the network) have the same workgroup name. Both
>computers appear on the network however the problems lies with one computer
>sharing files (the other is able to).
>
>The computer that files are not being shared can access the computer whose
>files can be shared. I am unsure what I have done wrong. To clear up what ive
>done:
>
>1. Set up wireless home network with both computer's using same network name.
>2. Shared folders on each computer, of which only one seems to work.
>
>Suspicion: On the computer whose not sharing, on 'My Network Places' the
>folder im attempting to share is being displayed in the 'Local Network'
>section rather than the 'Internet Section' where the other computers shared
>files are being displayed.
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
>
>Bob.

Bob,

The symptom of the local computers showing up in "Internet Section" rather than
"Local Network" comes from a setting in the "Internet Options" wizard. Start by
resolving this symptom.

<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007...-security.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]