Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Securing a server side directory

Securing a server side directory

Dave Kelly

This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
group. Thanks

I want to create a webpage that everyone can read but only those with
a password can post.

How would be the best way to do that?

Would putting the application to post in a protected directory and
the application to display in a public directory work. Maybe I am
asking can you make a directory on the server public read and private
post. Will cross see/show work?

I need to keep this very simple. I would like it be be simular to a
cookbook/recipe type of thing. It is for the club members to post
pictures and instructions on the fly patterens they tie. I want it to
be world viewable but only club members with a password can post.

The members of this fly fishing club are really not interested in
computers. They are older and a computer is a tool to use for work or
communications. If you can't squirt some oil in it to fix it they are
at a loss. Their interests lay in fishing and good wine and trophy
wives (probable someone elses).

I am getting up in years and need to leave something easy to
administer when I go.

If you can help with this information it will be appreciated.

Dave

Neredbojias

On 18 Apr 2009, Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
> group. Thanks

Yeah, sure. I read it here but I'm going to make a special visit to
alt.www.webwhatever where I'm not even subscribed yet to reply. But
don't fret; you're not the first idiosyncratist to suggest similar
dumbery.

> I want to create a webpage that everyone can read but only those
> with a password can post.
>
> How would be the best way to do that?

Simplest way is to use a form, post data, and server script with secure
password recognition.

> (snip)
> The members of this fly fishing club are really not interested in
> computers.

That's ok. I'm not interested in fish flies. (-'Didn't even realize
they had them...)

> I am getting up in years and need to leave something easy to
> administer when I go.

Then keep your will simple.

> If you can help with this information it will be appreciated.

Not here it won't (-according to you.)

> Dave

Brubeck?

--
Neredbojias
People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dave Kelly wrote:

> This was also posted on 'alt.www.webmaster' please answer in that
> group. Thanks

Please learn what cross-posting is .. and then don't use it very often.

--
-bts