Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Router Connectivity

Router Connectivity

Melvin

I cannot connect to the internet using a Cradlepoint MBR 1000. I spent about
30 minutes on the phone with Cradlepoint techs, and they couldn`t help me. I
can connect on another computer with the router. Both computers have XP and I
am connecting the router the same way to both computers. I can send packets,
but I cannot receive.

Thanks for any help.

Melvin

Chuck [MVP]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:57:02 -0700, Melvin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I cannot connect to the internet using a Cradlepoint MBR 1000. I spent about
>30 minutes on the phone with Cradlepoint techs, and they couldn`t help me. I
>can connect on another computer with the router. Both computers have XP and I
>am connecting the router the same way to both computers. I can send packets,
>but I cannot receive.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Melvin

Melvin,

Can we look at "ipconfig /all" from both computers?

<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...iagnosing.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

Melvin

Thanks for the reply, Chuck

Here is what I get from ipconfig/all on the computer that works.

1. DHCP enabled--Yes
2. Autoconfig--Yes
3. IP Address--192.168.0.199
4. Submask--255.255.255.0
5. Default Gateway--192.168.0.1
6. DHCP Server--192.168.0.1
7. DNS Servers--192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2

The only difference on the ipconfig/all of the computer that DOES NOT work
is the IP Address. It is 169.254.55.131

Melvin

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:57:02 -0700, Melvin <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I cannot connect to the internet using a Cradlepoint MBR 1000. I spent about
> >30 minutes on the phone with Cradlepoint techs, and they couldn`t help me. I
> >can connect on another computer with the router. Both computers have XP and I
> >am connecting the router the same way to both computers. I can send packets,
> >but I cannot receive.
> >
> >Thanks for any help.
> >
> >Melvin

> Melvin,
>
> Can we look at "ipconfig /all" from both computers?
>
> <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...iagnosing.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

smlunatick

On Apr 20, 3:31*pm, Melvin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Chuck
>
> Here is what I get from ipconfig/all on the computer that works.
>
> 1. DHCP enabled--Yes
> 2. Autoconfig--Yes
> 3. IP Address--192.168.0.199
> 4. Submask--255.255.255.0
> 5. Default Gateway--192.168.0.1
> 6. DHCP Server--192.168.0.1
> 7. DNS Servers--192.168.0.1
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *192.168.0.2
>
> The only difference on the ipconfig/all of the computer that DOES NOT work
> is the IP Address. It is 169.254.55.131
>
> Melvin
>
> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:57:02 -0700, Melvin <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > >I cannot connect to the internet using a Cradlepoint MBR 1000. I spent about
> > >30 minutes on the phone with Cradlepoint techs, and they couldn`t help me. I
> > >can connect on another computer with the router. Both computers have XP and I
> > >am connecting the router the same way to both computers. I can send packets,
> > >but I cannot receive.

> > >Thanks for any help.

> > >Melvin

> > Melvin,

> > Can we look at "ipconfig /all" from both computers?

> > <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosi....>
> >http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...g-and-diagnosi...

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
> >http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

It seems that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be having
problems with their DNS servers. You should be able use a different
DNS "service" server IP addresses. You can try using the OpenDNS
servers:

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

The PC that is getting an IP of 169.254.xxx.xxx is not able to get an
IP from your router, for some reason. One possibility is that any
"enhanced" Internet access security softwares can block access to your
wireless network SSID (aka network name).) This is what happened to
me when I was using Norton 360. The software was blocking my SSID
access until I told the software to "trust" my network SSID.

Phillip Windell

"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Apr 20, 3:31 pm, Melvin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
It seems that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be having
problems with their DNS servers. You should be able use a different
DNS "service" server IP addresses. You can try using the OpenDNS
servers:

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

I tried OpenDNS with those numbers. I had to stop. They are having a bunch
of trouble related to Google that seems to be getting worse. It used to be
only with Clients that ran the Google Toolbar,...but we started having
connectivity problems with just the regular www.google.com site. As soon as
I stopped using OpenDNS all went back to normal.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Technet Library
ISA2004
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx
ISA2006
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx

Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html

Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx

Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

Phillip Windell

"Melvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> 1. DHCP enabled--Yes
> 2. Autoconfig--Yes
> 3. IP Address--192.168.0.199
> 4. Submask--255.255.255.0
> 5. Default Gateway--192.168.0.1
> 6. DHCP Server--192.168.0.1
> 7. DNS Servers--192.168.0.1
> 192.168.0.2

The 192.168.0.2 does not seem right. If you are using the firewall device
as the DNS then there would only be the one number of 192.168.0.1

That isn't likely to be the root of your problem,..but it might be the next
problem you will have.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

smlunatick

On Apr 20, 7:07*pm, "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 20, 3:31 pm, Melvin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It seems that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be having
> problems with their DNS servers. *You should be able use a different
> DNS "service" server IP addresses. *You can try using the OpenDNS
> servers:
>
> 208.67.222.222
> 208.67.220.220

> I tried OpenDNS with those numbers. *I had to stop. *They are having a bunch
> of trouble related to Google that seems to be getting worse. *It used to be
> only with Clients that ran the Google Toolbar,...but we started having
> connectivity problems with just the regularwww.google.comsite. *As soon as
> I stopped using OpenDNS all went back to normal.
>
> --
> Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
> Technet Library
> *ISA2004http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302436(TechNet.10)..aspx
> *ISA2006http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb898433(TechNet.10)..aspx
>
> Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processinghttp://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html
>
> Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-...
>
> Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partnershttp://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.mspx
>
> Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutionshttp://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepart...

I have not had any Google related problem when using the OpenDNS
servers. If you reverted back from OpenDNS and the Internet is
working correctly, you definately have a problem with the DNS
servers / DNS "name" resolution on the "affected" PC. If you get this
problem again, try:

Start
RUN
CMD