Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > DLink DWL-G630 connects intermittently

DLink DWL-G630 connects intermittently

Timothy Baldwin

I am having problems getting a wireless network to work...

I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-R1 laptop running Windows XP SP3 with a
Dlink DWL-G630 wireless interface, using the "Marvell Libertas
802.11b/g Wireless" drivers.

It will only connect intermittently using WPA to our SMC2804WBRP-G
wireless router. On unsecured network using this router and public
hotspots t connects without problems.

I have been testing the connection using ping to other devices on the
network.

2 other computers (running Linux) have no problems connecting
wirelessly.

Windows firewall is disabled. and no other firewalls are present

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Make sure both Wireless router and NIC have the same setup. Or this link may
help.

Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues
http://www.wifimvp.com/connectionissues.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Timothy Baldwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am having problems getting a wireless network to work...
>
> I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-R1 laptop running Windows XP SP3 with a
> Dlink DWL-G630 wireless interface, using the "Marvell Libertas
> 802.11b/g Wireless" drivers.
>
> It will only connect intermittently using WPA to our SMC2804WBRP-G
> wireless router. On unsecured network using this router and public
> hotspots t connects without problems.
>
> I have been testing the connection using ping to other devices on the
> network.
>
> 2 other computers (running Linux) have no problems connecting
> wirelessly.
>
> Windows firewall is disabled. and no other firewalls are present

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Is the Router's SSID is broadcasting?
Some computers can work OK with SSID Off some cannot.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:

> Hi
> Is the Router's SSID is broadcasting?

Yes, and confirmed using airodump-ng.

Timothy Baldwin

Bob Lin (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Make sure both Wireless router and NIC have the same setup.

Both are set to WPA-PSK with TKIP, IP addresses are setup with a DHCP
server that works with wired connections.

> Or this link
> may help.
>
> Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues
> http://www.wifimvp.com/connectionissues.htm

Running wireshark on the laptop in question reveals several EAPOL key
packets are being received, but are not replied to; unlike the working
Linux system.

I have recorded some log files:

http://www.majoroak.f2s.com/tim/tracing/
http://www.majoroak.f2s.com/tim/tracing.zip

smlunatick

On Apr 19, 8:42*pm, Timothy Baldwin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bob Lin (MS-MVP) wrote:
> > Make sure both Wireless router and NIC have the same setup.

> Both are set to WPA-PSK with TKIP, IP addresses are setup with a DHCP
> server that works with wired connections.
>
> > Or this link
> > may help.

> > Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues
> >http://www.wifimvp.com/connectionissues.htm

> Running wireshark on the laptop in question reveals several EAPOL key
> packets are being received, but are not replied to; unlike the working
> Linux system.
>
> I have recorded some log files:
>
> http://www.majoroak.f2s.com/tim/trac...im/tracing.zip

Have you ever considered check your anti-virus or "enhanced" Internet
security softwares? I experienced a similar problem when I was using
Norton 360 security software. I needed to tell the software to trust
the wireless SSID within the firewall module.

Timothy Baldwin

smlunatick wrote:

> Have you ever considered check your anti-virus or "enhanced" Internet
> security softwares? I experienced a similar problem when I was using
> Norton 360 security software. I needed to tell the software to trust
> the wireless SSID within the firewall module.

It currently has Avast Home installed, and previously had AVG Free Edition
installed. Neither claims to be a firewall or has any relevant options.

Jack-MVP

Hi
Try to change the transmission channels in the Router and see if another
channel provides better results.
If it does not help try another (newer) Wireless Router on the same
environment.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Timothy Baldwin wrote:

> I am having problems getting a wireless network to work...
>
> I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-R1 laptop running Windows XP SP3 with a
> Dlink DWL-G630 wireless interface, using the "Marvell Libertas
> 802.11b/g Wireless" drivers.

After install later drivers it now works, these drivers seem to be a poorly
kept secret.

The drivers on the Dlink website for a DWL-G630 are, according to the Update
Driver Wizard for a different device.

The Marvell website wasn't helpful.

Windows update didn't offer them.

However a google search for the vendor and device IDs lead me via
driveragent.com to:
http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...l/10511214.cab

Hi Timothy

I downloaded driveragent and tried it. I am trying to determine if there is
a better drive for my router (TRENDNET TEW-432BRP) to which I am connected
by wireless. The router did not show up on the Driveragent report. Does
driveragent work on routers too?

Jeff