Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > REQ: Help making website

REQ: Help making website

Shawn B.

Greetings,

I have have been working for almost 18 months on a set of WebControls where
some are similar to the ASP.NET standard and well-enhanced while other
controls are completely new and interesting. All my controls are
implemented from scratch (in VB.NET). Some are C#, er I plan to have a
second copy. I'm more productive in VB.NET (mainly because of the better
intellisense support -- yes, I rely on it because I don't remember every
object in the web.* namespaces).

Anyway, I have wanted to write up articles and use each control as an
example for different aspects of the process. I have plans to also create
my own blogging engine, a different type of a WIKI where people can
callaborate in groups by permission but all can read it. A few other
things. All this I can develop no problem.

What I am having problems with is actually designing my website. I'm really
not a site designer (but I'm an exceptionally good programmer). I'm finding
it difficult to come up with a good site layout and actually implementing
it. I would rather focus on the controls.

I want something that strkes similarity with
http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/

Where my main topics will be at the top (as in the site above) and then the
subtopics will be on the site (not in the site above).

To start with, I only have a few controls. I also have my own personal
ASP.NET control building FAQ that rivals all the others I've seen combined.
I plan to implenet that FAQ into some sort of FAQ engine for all to use (and
hopefully contribute).

I already have the domain (I've been paying $50/mo.) for 3 months now but it
has nothing on it yet. It's being hosted by http://www.easerve.com for
those who are interested in knowing.

This website is intended to be an open learning source for those who would
learn from it (and to be my playground). I have ideas for some WebControls
that will blow your mind away (in Research stage now but fully functional).
It is not GPL, LGPL, FreeBSD stuff, but it is open in the sense that I'm
developing and allowing you to use the source and the end result. I reserve
the rights to my own work. If someone contributes, I'll respect their
rights as well.

What I'm asking for is if someone is willing to work with me and help me
design a simple but profound website (in ASP.NET, of course, VS.NET 2003 --
C#, VB.NET, J#, whatever, doesn't matter). I can't pay as I don't intend to
profit from this but I in the end of my vision, it will be a cross between
what I've described above, and ASP Today (one module of the overall picture)
and planet-source-code, codeproject, a blogging engine, WIKI engine, a way
to publish articules or columns that people can subscribe to, interactive
tutorials and so on.

My primary emphasis is on making these modules self-contained and fit for
re-use by others who wish to use them (perhaps similar to the starter kits
(I've never downloaded one but I understand the concept)) as well as a way
to write up whatever I want and publish it as working examples (such as a
fictitious CRM system and so on).

Yes, it sounds too good to be true. Most project die when they start out so
big. Which is why I'm so far sticking with what I have got (16 custom
WebControls implemented from scratch that completely replace the ASP.NET
ones and provide interesting new functionality). Some of that new
functionality has been announced in Whidbey (but I had it in the works long
before I had a clue MS would do something with it) such as skinning. Other
stuff I am doing I haven't heard word on it but I haven't installed the
preview so I don't know.

Anyway,
If someone is interested in helping me with the Site design (read: designing
the site) let me know. I'm hoping that as I make this site free of charge
for the learning of all, that someone will be willing to follow the same
spirit in desiging it with me. I don't intend on paying. This is a
community thing that I'm not intending to profit from. Community in the
sense that I plan to keep it open to the community.

BTW: This site is intended for asp.net and webcontrols primarily and what
you can do with them but I'm not limiting the vision. I plan to expand it
but I won't be implementing too much non ASP.NET stuff.

my website is: http://www.zenofdotnet.com

Please let me know if you are willing to help. I am only looking for 1
person (not many people or a team of people). I need to get past the first
stage first so I don't get overwhealmed. Also, it's possible that we can
continually work together to bring the site to life (as a team). In fact,
that's what I'm hoping for.

I'm American but I don't care where you are located. What I care about is
that you have the ability to help me (don't have to be a GURU) and can speak
decent Engrish (pun intended).

l-e--a-b---r-e-@-h-x-o-xx-t-xxx-m-xx...l-xxxxxxx-.com
(remove the obvious for the true email address).

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn B.

is anyone willing to help?