Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Ports/services for drive mapping

Re: Ports/services for drive mapping

Thrill5

Depends on what protocol is being used to map the drive which is dependent
on the server OS.

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> What ports or services do I need to enable to allow mapping a drive
> letter from my inside network to a server in the DMZ? I'm setting up an
> ASA 5505, and need to be able to connect a drive on the web server as a
> mapped network drive from my inside machines.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
> newsgroups if possible).

bod43

On 18 Apr, 00:44, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:
> In article <gsavv1$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
> > Depends on what protocol is being used to map the drive which is dependent
> > on the server OS.

> Windows 2000 and XP on both ends (at least for now).
>

> > "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > > What ports or services do I need to enable to allow mapping a drive
> > > letter from my inside network to a server in the DMZ? *I'm setting up an
> > > ASA 5505, and need to be able to connect a drive on the web server as a
> > > mapped network drive from my inside machines.

Windows uses TCP port 445 for drive mappings.
Well last time I looked it simultaneously
attempted to connect with 445 and also the obsolete TCP 139.
It used whichever worked first.

It is called SMB (server message block) and was renamed
some years ago by microsoft to CIFS Common Internet File
System.

Interestingly, it is not commonly used on the Internet and
is in fact singularly unsuited for use as a file system
communicating across the Internet. Still, marketing
seems to matter much more than functionality.

Ho hum.

If you want to map to servers by name you will have to make
name resolution work. You can of course map drives by IP
address if you prefer.

net use x: \\1.2.3.4\share-name