Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Stand Alone Voip Phone

Stand Alone Voip Phone

R. Giskard Reventlov

Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow different
incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not matter if it
did!

Jack Bauer

In article <49e77fdd$0$2532$(E-Mail Removed)>, no.spam@me says...
> Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
> that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow different
> incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not matter if it
> did!

I have to recommend the Siemens Gigaset range. I bought a S685IP but
there are a number that will be as technically competent - just make
sure that the model you buy has IP at the end.

I say this because until I used the Siemens, I was thoroughly
unimpressed with VOIP generally. I had tried various softphones on
different connections and all had generally disappointed. The Siemens,
using Sipgate with a good broadband connection, has been rock solid. It
also does PSTN.

Graham.

"R. Giskard Reventlov" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
news:49e77fdd$0$2532$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
> that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow
> different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not
> matter if it did!

You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

R. Giskard Reventlov

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gs80q9$14e$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "R. Giskard Reventlov" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
> news:49e77fdd$0$2532$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
>> that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow
>> different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not
>> matter if it did!

> You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
> in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
> --
> Graham.
>
> %Profound_observation%

I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is far to
complex for my needs!

Woody

"R. Giskard Reventlov" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
news:49e7892c$0$2544$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gs80q9$14e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "R. Giskard Reventlov" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
>> news:49e77fdd$0$2532$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or
>>> cordless) that will plug directly into the back of my router and
>>> will allow different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not
>>> PSTN but would not matter if it did!

>> You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
>> in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
>> --
>> Graham.
>>
>> %Profound_observation%
>>

> I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is
> far to complex for my needs!

If you have a dig on the Sipgate web site you will find all you need to
know about how to set it up,

Remember the Linksys SPA series were all originally Sipura products so
you may need to look for that name.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Gordon Henderson

In article <49e77fdd$0$2532$(E-Mail Removed)>,
R. Giskard Reventlov <no.spam@me> wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or cordless)
>that will plug directly into the back of my router and will allow different
>incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but would not matter if it
>did!

Siemens gigaset (eg. A580IP) for cordless, or Grandstream, Snom,
Linksys and many others for a "corded" desk phone. A lot will depend on
your budget... Grandstream GXP2000 can handle 4 accounts, (it's my own
deskphone of choice), then the 2020 can handle 6 - Snoms can handle 10
(I think), but are more expensive ...

Gordon

Graham.

> I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is far
> to complex for my needs!

But that sounds ideal.
If you are having difficulty configuring it I am sure we can help here.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

TheFug@domain.invalid

R. Giskard Reventlov schreef:
> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gs80q9$14e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "R. Giskard Reventlov" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
>> news:49e77fdd$0$2532$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can anyone recommend a stand alone VOIP phone (either corded or
>>> cordless) that will plug directly into the back of my router and will
>>> allow different incoming and outgoing providers. It does not PSTN but
>>> would not matter if it did!

>> You might also want to consider an ATA (Analogue telephone adapter)
>> in conjunction with a wired or DECT POTS handset.
>> --
>> Graham.
>>
>> %Profound_observation%
>>

> I have a Linksys SPA 3102 and rapidly coming to the conclusion it is far
> to complex for my needs!

Same experience here, Using a Siemens DECT IP set, is far more easier to
set up, and, if you want more lines, (use of more voip providers) you
can use a service like Mysipswitch.
An normal IP phone (Grandstream)is also an option, you get more features
that way, if you need them, like to transfer a call, or conferrence
calls, easy voice mail access.
With ATA's you could get unwanted side-effects, with some analog phones,
on either side of the connection, like delays, or echo, both are related
to each other.
Most ATA's are build-in in complete devices, poor choice in options or
router functions are poor, (download problems, or functions don't work
at the same time in good condition)
Single ATA's have sometimes build in router, which is also not ideal....
That soms it up.... for you to decide.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

The difference between a cordless VOIP phone and a Wi-Fi VOIP phone qiaoqianapply@gmail.com UK VOIP 10 08-16-2007 08:33 PM
Latest voip phone/usb phone/voip gateway sales@skype-link.com VOIP 0 02-28-2006 08:54 AM
stand alone executable using pp doesn't stand alone Plotinus Perl Misc 2 12-17-2004 01:09 AM
Suite or stand alone? Caploc Firefox 2 11-10-2004 09:48 PM
IAS fails with certs from Stand Alone CA Harrison Midkiff Wireless Networking 2 07-22-2004 09:45 PM

Advertisments