Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > disabling DNS Client service? Pros and cons

Reply
Thread Tools

disabling DNS Client service? Pros and cons

 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2009
I have a large hosts file
(which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ) in my XP
Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet access. This
apparently is a known
problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling the DNS
Client service.

Is that really safe or wise to do?

As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?

Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?

Thanks.

Jeff



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2009
On Apr 16, 5:18*pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a large hosts file
> (which I obtained fromhttp://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) in my XP
> Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet access. *This
> apparently is a known
> problem in XP. *To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling the DNS
> Client service.
>
> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>
> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>
> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff


DNS client service IS required to resolve the web site urls
(addresses) You are using the hosts file in hopes to block several
known "hackware" web sites from truly loading on your PC.

Also, I would not "rely" on this "revised" hosts file as your security
protection for blocking known "hackware" spyware softwares. Some
newer softwares will seek out and replace / remove / clear out the
hosts file, thus "rendering" this style solution "useless."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chuck [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2009
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:18:56 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a large hosts file
>(which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ) in my XP
>Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet access. This
>apparently is a known
>problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling the DNS
>Client service.
>
>Is that really safe or wise to do?
>
>As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>
>Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jeff


Jeff,

Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up disabling it.
Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls. BlackViper is the authority on
services.

<http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack [MVP-Networking]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2009
Hi
Knowing the content of the Host File in question, as an alternative, you can
find (easy, and even free) ways to use Software Firewalls and browser's
Ad-blocking add-ons, thus reduce significantly the HOST's file size, or
eliminate it all together.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a large hosts file
> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ) in my
> XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet access. This
> apparently is a known
> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling the DNS
> Client service.
>
> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>
> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>
> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2009
Hi Jack

I use Zone Alarm firewall and Avast AV. In addition I use Spybot to
"immunize" - which I believe adds items to the hosts file. I also run both
Spybot and Ad-aware every so often but all they find are a few cookies. For
browsing I use Firefox which I believe Spybot does something to during the
"immunize" process. My Firefox cookies screen has a list of websites from
where cookies are automatically blocked. Maybe that is doing what the large
hosts file is doing.

I have not really had any real problems (no banners or similar) and I am
therefore not sure I really need that large Hosts file I got from the
mvps.org site, but then I am no expert. I thought using that hosts file
might be cost free safety, but it so slowed down things that I needed to
follow their advice and disable the DNS Client service. So now I wonder
whether it might not be smarter to just go back to the way things were:
smaller hosts file and restore DNS Client service.

Does that make sense?

Jeff

Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
> Hi
> Knowing the content of the Host File in question, as an alternative,
> you can find (easy, and even free) ways to use Software Firewalls and
> browser's Ad-blocking add-ons, thus reduce significantly the HOST's
> file size, or eliminate it all together.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a large hosts file
>> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm )
>> in my XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet
>> access. This apparently is a known
>> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling
>> the DNS Client service.
>>
>> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>>
>> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>>
>> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff




 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2009
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:18:56 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a large hosts file
>> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm )
>> in my XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet
>> access. This apparently is a known
>> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling
>> the DNS Client service.
>>
>> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>>
>> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>>
>> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff

>
> Jeff,
>
> Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up
> disabling it. Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls.
> BlackViper is the authority on services.
>
> <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm


Thanks Chuck. The thing is I've had no problems with banners and the like.
I use Spybot and Ad-aware for years and all they find are a few tracking
cookies. I use Zone Alarm free firewall, wireless router, and browse with
Firefox 99% of the time - which automatically blocks numerous unsafe
cookies.

I only installed the large mvps hosts file because I was concerned after
reading that some tracking groups like "omniture", "Revenue Science", and
the like might track you without your being aware. But maybe these are
already filtered when Spybot "immunizes" my browser and I do not need to go
the route of the huge hosts file. And I am not that comfortable disabling
the DNS Client.

Would I be wrong to get rid of the huge hosts and go back to the way things
were? Maybe the blocked cookies in my Firefox browser are doing essentially
the same thing without the problems of a large hosts and disabled FNS
Client.

What do you think?

Jeff




 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2009
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 00:19:28 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:18:56 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a large hosts file
>>> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm )
>>> in my XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet
>>> access. This apparently is a known
>>> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling
>>> the DNS Client service.
>>>
>>> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>>>
>>> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>>>
>>> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jeff

>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up
>> disabling it. Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls.
>> BlackViper is the authority on services.
>>
>> <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
>> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm

>
>Thanks Chuck. The thing is I've had no problems with banners and the like.
>I use Spybot and Ad-aware for years and all they find are a few tracking
>cookies. I use Zone Alarm free firewall, wireless router, and browse with
>Firefox 99% of the time - which automatically blocks numerous unsafe
>cookies.
>
>I only installed the large mvps hosts file because I was concerned after
>reading that some tracking groups like "omniture", "Revenue Science", and
>the like might track you without your being aware. But maybe these are
>already filtered when Spybot "immunizes" my browser and I do not need to go
>the route of the huge hosts file. And I am not that comfortable disabling
>the DNS Client.
>
>Would I be wrong to get rid of the huge hosts and go back to the way things
>were? Maybe the blocked cookies in my Firefox browser are doing essentially
>the same thing without the problems of a large hosts and disabled FNS
>Client.
>
>What do you think?
>
>Jeff


Since you ask, the Hosts file blocking is kind of out of date now. Online site
evaluation databases make more sense, as they are always up to date. I use
McAfee Site Advisor, which installs as a browser add-on.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2008...-websites.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2009
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 00:19:28 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:18:56 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I have a large hosts file
>>>> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm )
>>>> in my XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet
>>>> access. This apparently is a known
>>>> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling
>>>> the DNS Client service.
>>>>
>>>> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>>>>
>>>> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>>>>
>>>> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks.
>>>>
>>>> Jeff
>>>
>>> Jeff,
>>>
>>> Everybody that I've known of with a large Hosts file ends up
>>> disabling it. Otherwise, as you note, Internet access crawls.
>>> BlackViper is the authority on services.
>>>
>>> <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm>
>>> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/DNS_Client.htm

>>
>> Thanks Chuck. The thing is I've had no problems with banners and
>> the like. I use Spybot and Ad-aware for years and all they find are
>> a few tracking cookies. I use Zone Alarm free firewall, wireless
>> router, and browse with Firefox 99% of the time - which
>> automatically blocks numerous unsafe cookies.
>>
>> I only installed the large mvps hosts file because I was concerned
>> after reading that some tracking groups like "omniture", "Revenue
>> Science", and the like might track you without your being aware. But
>> maybe these are already filtered when Spybot "immunizes" my browser
>> and I do not need to go the route of the huge hosts file. And I am
>> not that comfortable disabling the DNS Client.
>>
>> Would I be wrong to get rid of the huge hosts and go back to the way
>> things were? Maybe the blocked cookies in my Firefox browser are
>> doing essentially the same thing without the problems of a large
>> hosts and disabled FNS Client.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Jeff

>
> Since you ask, the Hosts file blocking is kind of out of date now.
> Online site evaluation databases make more sense, as they are always
> up to date. I use McAfee Site Advisor, which installs as a browser
> add-on.
>
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2008...-websites.html


Thank you.

Jeff


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack [MVP-Networking]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2009
Hi
Unless there is some very specific files that need to be block it is better
to use Ad Blocking Ad-Ons the the Browser rather than an inflated Host file.
In case of Firefox this is a very useful Ad-On,
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Knowing the content of the Host File in question, as an alternative, you
> can find (easy, and even free) ways to use Software Firewalls and
> browser's Ad-blocking add-ons, thus reduce significantly the HOST's file
> size, or eliminate it all together.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a large hosts file
>> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ) in my
>> XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet access. This
>> apparently is a known
>> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling the DNS
>> Client service.
>>
>> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>>
>> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>>
>> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>>
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2009
Thank you.

Jeff

Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
> Hi
> Unless there is some very specific files that need to be block it is
> better to use Ad Blocking Ad-Ons the the Browser rather than an
> inflated Host file. In case of Firefox this is a very useful Ad-On,
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Knowing the content of the Host File in question, as an alternative,
>> you can find (easy, and even free) ways to use Software Firewalls and
>> browser's Ad-blocking add-ons, thus reduce significantly the HOST's
>> file size, or eliminate it all together.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a large hosts file
>>> (which I obtained from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm )
>>> in my XP Media Center laptop and it really slows down my internet
>>> access. This apparently is a known
>>> problem in XP. To remedy it, the above site recommends disabling
>>> the DNS Client service.
>>>
>>> Is that really safe or wise to do?
>>>
>>> As long as I am at home, is there any harmful effect from this?
>>>
>>> Why would it speed up internet access (if it will)?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jeff



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASP.Net 2.0: Pros and cons of putting connection string in a DLL J.S. ASP .Net 10 05-20-2009 12:51 PM
threading and multicores, pros and cons Maric Michaud Python 24 02-20-2007 07:47 PM
Pros and cons for using https on a logon page? Randall Parker ASP .Net 1 12-04-2005 09:14 PM
PSL pros and cons Kumar Vijay Mishra VHDL 2 10-02-2004 12:34 AM
Pros and Cons about automatic increase in MS SQL 2000 Benny ASP .Net 1 03-01-2004 10:21 PM



Advertisments