Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > limited connection

limited connection

=?Utf-8?B?bm9jdmFk?=

Why do I have to unplug and then plug my dlink USB card to force it to get
the IP address. Once I do that it works perfectly so it seems the settings
must be correct but it will not connect automatically when booting up. Any
suggestions would be apprecieated

Clark

In whatever configuration utility you are using for the device, do you have
a profile set up for your network? If you do, is there a setting for
connect automatically? Go over all the settings and see if one might help.

You should be able to use that same utility to connect to the network
without having to unplug the device. Give it some time to see if it will
connect by itself, it isn't always fast.

Clark

"nocvad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why do I have to unplug and then plug my dlink USB card to force it to get
> the IP address. Once I do that it works perfectly so it seems the
> settings
> must be correct but it will not connect automatically when booting up.
> Any
> suggestions would be apprecieated

=?Utf-8?B?bm9jdmFk?=

I have tried both utilities and get the same results. The encryption
settings must be correct because once I unplug the usb card it always
connects. I have connect automatically selected.

Even if I choose repair it says it is unable to disable the adapter and that
is why i have to unplug it.

"Clark" wrote:

> In whatever configuration utility you are using for the device, do you have
> a profile set up for your network? If you do, is there a setting for
> connect automatically? Go over all the settings and see if one might help.
>
> You should be able to use that same utility to connect to the network
> without having to unplug the device. Give it some time to see if it will
> connect by itself, it isn't always fast.
>
> Clark
>
> "nocvad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why do I have to unplug and then plug my dlink USB card to force it to get
> > the IP address. Once I do that it works perfectly so it seems the
> > settings
> > must be correct but it will not connect automatically when booting up.
> > Any
> > suggestions would be apprecieated

Clark

Have you tried opening a command window (Start-run-cmd) and use the ipconfig
/release or /renew command? If you have, what message did you get? The
only time it hasn't worked for me was when I was using a static IP.

When you boot up and prior to disconnecting the device, does it show an IP
address at all, or just 0.0.0.0?

Maybe you need to update the firmware. Have you used the USB wireless in a
TiVo lately?