Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Slow Hanging Network Windows XP

Slow Hanging Network Windows XP

=?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=

I am using Windows XP SP-2.
Small network, one Wired PC, one Wireless PC, one Wireless Notebook (all G).
Cable Modem (Road Runner) - static IP
I had a D-Link router that did well (all Internet and Network connections
worked)untill it crashed during a firmware upgrade.
Replaced with a Linksys Wireless G Speedboost WRT54GS.
Same SSID and WEP Key.
Now, I cannot access the Network without a terrible delay, which causes a
shared program on the server to hang and "not respond" when run on the
workstations (they used to work fine with the previous router).
I do have internet access OK, except frequent episodes on the wireless
computers when the internet connection seems to just stop for a while.
All are wireless G - one PC (D-Link PCI Adapter) one Notebook (Dell Internal)
With excellent signal strength (54 MBps) there is a delay - between
Wired-Wireless(both) and Wireless-Wireless.
I re-setup the Network and Wireless network on all three computers, shut off
Windows Firewall, disabled Mcafee Firewall on two that have it, and repaired
the Winsock (with WinsockFixXP) to no avail. I see everything, but the
transfer start is delayed (as I select down the Explorer tree the selection
move stops at My Network Places and there is ~15-20sec delay before I can
move down My Network Places to just select a shared folder) , then it's OK to
transfer, it seems (although a bit slow). Something hangs when the selection
reaches the Network.
I also tried the Notebook at home using an identical WRT54GS and the same
Wireless Security settings, but using a Dynamic ISP connection (the problem
Router is a static ISP connection and I have enable MAC filtering to allow
all the Network computers). Here, from the wired PC, transfers seem OK both
to and from the wired PC. But from the wireless Notebook, I see everything
fine, but as I select down the Explorer tree there is just ~6-7sec delay
before I can move down My Network Places to select a shared folder and then I
can transfer files. This is similar to the problem with the other Router for
selection, but the problem router takes longer to allow a selection.

Clark

You might try doing ping tests in different directions and keep track of the
results. A tracert command might also show you where some things are
slowing down. Do you have any logs you can look at, like maybe from the
router or firewall? Doing an ipconfig /all command might show up a problem
in the way your IP addresses are being assigned. Look for the Computers IP
address and gateway and DNS IP addresses. Whenever I see delays finding
web pages, I tend to think the DNS setup is involved, so yours might be
looking for something in the wrong place.

This won't help me, but what protocols are you running? I would also
suggest updating whatever you can including WinXP as far as hotfixes. Are
you using the Windows Wireless Zero Controller for your wireless cards or
the Intel ProSet for the Dell? If you are using the WZC, you might try not
starting the Intel controller if it is starting now. Or if it is starting
and you want to use it, you might try disabling the Windows controller. I
believe they will normally work together (one being disabled by the other),
but you might check.

I don't know anything about the Speedboost part, but is there a way you can
turn that part off?

Clark

"randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using Windows XP SP-2.
> Small network, one Wired PC, one Wireless PC, one Wireless Notebook (all
> G).
> Cable Modem (Road Runner) - static IP
> I had a D-Link router that did well (all Internet and Network connections
> worked)untill it crashed during a firmware upgrade.
> Replaced with a Linksys Wireless G Speedboost WRT54GS.
> Same SSID and WEP Key.
> Now, I cannot access the Network without a terrible delay, which causes a
> shared program on the server to hang and "not respond" when run on the
> workstations (they used to work fine with the previous router).
> I do have internet access OK, except frequent episodes on the wireless
> computers when the internet connection seems to just stop for a while.
> All are wireless G - one PC (D-Link PCI Adapter) one Notebook (Dell
> Internal)
> With excellent signal strength (54 MBps) there is a delay - between
> Wired-Wireless(both) and Wireless-Wireless.
> I re-setup the Network and Wireless network on all three computers, shut
> off
> Windows Firewall, disabled Mcafee Firewall on two that have it, and
> repaired
> the Winsock (with WinsockFixXP) to no avail. I see everything, but the
> transfer start is delayed (as I select down the Explorer tree the
> selection
> move stops at My Network Places and there is ~15-20sec delay before I can
> move down My Network Places to just select a shared folder) , then it's OK
> transfer, it seems (although a bit slow). Something hangs when the
> selection
> reaches the Network.
> I also tried the Notebook at home using an identical WRT54GS and the same
> Wireless Security settings, but using a Dynamic ISP connection (the
> problem
> Router is a static ISP connection and I have enable MAC filtering to allow
> all the Network computers). Here, from the wired PC, transfers seem OK
> both
> to and from the wired PC. But from the wireless Notebook, I see
> everything
> fine, but as I select down the Explorer tree there is just ~6-7sec delay
> before I can move down My Network Places to select a shared folder and
> then I
> can transfer files. This is similar to the problem with the other Router
> for
> selection, but the problem router takes longer to allow a selection.

=?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?=

Thank you.
I previously did do ipconfig /all to check MAC addresses. What exactly am I
looking for with the other addresses for DNS problems?
I think IntelProset is running on my laptop, but am not sure about WZC or
whats on the others. How do I check and what do I do to turn on/off?
What am I looking for in logs? I think the router has logs.
SpeedBoost is automatic, the best i can tell.
WindowsXP has all recent updates.
What do you mean by protocol?

"Clark" wrote:

> [...]
> > reaches the Network.
> > I also tried the Notebook at home using an identical WRT54GS and the same
> > Wireless Security settings, but using a Dynamic ISP connection (the
> > problem
> > Router is a static ISP connection and I have enable MAC filtering to allow
> > all the Network computers). Here, from the wired PC, transfers seem OK
> > both
> > to and from the wired PC. But from the wireless Notebook, I see
> > everything
> > fine, but as I select down the Explorer tree there is just ~6-7sec delay
> > before I can move down My Network Places to select a shared folder and
> > then I
> > can transfer files. This is similar to the problem with the other Router
> > for
> > selection, but the problem router takes longer to allow a selection.

This is the type of problem you have to refine your settings until you find
the right one. To check the WZC, right click on My network Places, and
select properties. Right click on your wireless connection and select
properties. Open the Wireless Networks tab. The check box at the top will
tell you if you are using the WZC, if it is checked you are. This is where
you set your network configuration if you are using it. Highlight your
network and select properties and enter your settings there.

As for as the IP address situation, Normally the router is the DHCP server.
If you have something else set up to do that it causes problems. The DHCP
server should also give you your DNS servers. So if you do an ipconfig
/all, you should see the address of your computer along with the MAC. It
will also give your gateway, normally the router, 192.168.1.1 or something
similar and the DNS servers, which may be a 192. number or possibly the
actual servers of your ISP. The WAP address maybe another 192. xxx number,
but not the same one as the router. If you could copy and post the results
of the ipconfig, someone migh notice something strange.

There are many settings that might have gotten messed up. It might be good
to just do a new connection after you are connected in you preferred
configuration.

Clark

To turn off WZC, go to My Network Places and right click for properties and
select that.
> [...]
>> > same
>> > Wireless Security settings, but using a Dynamic ISP connection (the
>> > problem
>> > Router is a static ISP connection and I have enable MAC filtering to
>> > allow
>> > all the Network computers). Here, from the wired PC, transfers seem OK
>> > both
>> > to and from the wired PC. But from the wireless Notebook, I see
>> > everything
>> > fine, but as I select down the Explorer tree there is just ~6-7sec
>> > delay
>> > before I can move down My Network Places to select a shared folder and
>> > then I
>> > can transfer files. This is similar to the problem with the other
>> > Router
>> > for
>> > selection, but the problem router takes longer to allow a selection.

I will check the Network Adapters.
Here's the ipconfig of one wireless:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RandyMD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tampabay.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tampabay.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI
Car
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-1C-1B-BD
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
65.32.1.70
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 23, 2005 8:22:44 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 24, 2005 8:22:44 AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-71-E4-E6

Here's the ipconfig of the wired server:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PCC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-28-68-AD
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
65.32.1.70
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 23, 2005 8:20:25 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 24, 2005 8:20:25 AM

"Clark" wrote:

> [...]
> >> suggest updating whatever you can including WinXP as far as hotfixes.
> >> Are
> >> you using the Windows Wireless Zero Controller for your wireless cards or
> >> the Intel ProSet for the Dell? If you are using the WZC, you might try
> >> not
> >> starting the Intel controller if it is starting now. Or if it is
> >> starting
> >> and you want to use it, you might try disabling the Windows controller.
> >> believe they will normally work together (one being disabled by the
> >> other),
> >> but you might check.
> >>
> >> I don't know anything about the Speedboost part, but is there a way you
> >> can
> >> turn that part off?
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>

> >> "randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Additional Info:
The wireless adapters are checked to use windows (that is WZC, I presume)
Also, Network Authentication was set to OPEN, but I changed it to SHARED
(since a WEP Key is required)
The pc-pc network viewing/selection (right-click in Explorer) may actually
be a bit faster, but when I try to run my Program from the workstation (which
gets data from the server) I still get a hang that is a "not responding"
situation - on both wireless computers. The frustrating thing is, I did not
change my PC set-up at all, just the router, and am having all of these
problems!

"Clark" wrote:

> [...]
> >> suggest updating whatever you can including WinXP as far as hotfixes.
> >> Are
> >> you using the Windows Wireless Zero Controller for your wireless cards or
> >> the Intel ProSet for the Dell? If you are using the WZC, you might try
> >> not
> >> starting the Intel controller if it is starting now. Or if it is
> >> starting
> >> and you want to use it, you might try disabling the Windows controller.
> >> believe they will normally work together (one being disabled by the
> >> other),
> >> but you might check.
> >>
> >> I don't know anything about the Speedboost part, but is there a way you
> >> can
> >> turn that part off?
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>

> >> "randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Each brand of router is a little different in what they set up in the
firmware. And sometimes they use different names for the same thing. I had
a Linksys once that one particular firmware would block wireless internet
access via a VPN. I went back to an earlier one and it worked again.

There is a setting about blocking WAN requests, I don't know if it would
effect your configuration, but you might check. On my router it is on the
Advanced-Filters tab. Several settings there could be tried.

> [...]

>> to just do a new connection after you are connected in you preferred
>> configuration.
>>
>> Clark
>>

>> To turn off WZC, go to My Network Places and right click for properties
>> and
>> select that.
>> "randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thank you.
>> > I previously did do ipconfig /all to check MAC addresses. What exactly
>> > am
>> > looking for with the other addresses for DNS problems?
>> > I think IntelProset is running on my laptop, but am not sure about WZC
>> > or
>> > whats on the others. How do I check and what do I do to turn on/off?
>> > What am I looking for in logs? I think the router has logs.
>> > SpeedBoost is automatic, the best i can tell.

Most of this looks like mine, except I am not a member of a domain, so I
don't have a DNS suffix entry. Since it is beyond my experience level, I
have to assume you have checked to make sure it is setup correctly.

I did notice some articles on the Microsoft help site about delays when
logging in and perhaps other times and it seems they were referring to
802.1x authentication.