Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > kids safe

kids safe

yogi22

On Apr 13, 6:55*pm, Mike Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Responding to wayne:
>
> Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use your
> main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
> machines behind it through that?

Open DNS does this. You access Open DNS by customizing your router
settings. I understand that Open DNS is well regarded and you can
customize the filtering. As a bonus, it is supposed to speed up your
connections.

http://www.opendns.com/
kk

wayne

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:26:05 -0700, yogi22 wrote:

> On Apr 13, 11:13*am, Porter Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VtyEl.12103$jZ1.4009
>> @flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:
>>
>> > Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
>> > visited? *I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to
>> > allow them to go online safely without close supervision. *I'm using
>> > fedora 10 which allows multiple users. *I've disabled Firefox for the
>> > kids but would like to enable it, if possible.

>> > Thanks,

>> > -- Wayne.

>> Move the PC from the kid's bedroom to the family room.
>>
>> Routinely check the browser history to see where they have been.
>> Discuss why some sites are inappropriate. *If they re-offend, suspend
>> browser priv's *for a week.

> Funny this topic should come up today, as I have just been amending a
> young friend's computer to minimize the various threats to his moral
> well being. I certainly agree with Porter that the computer should be in
> a public area.
>
> I have been using K9 Web Protection for this purpose. I had previously
> installed it on his computer, but he is a cunning devil. He disabled the
> HighSpeed somehow, then told his mother that he needed the password to
> get it going again. On the usually valid assumption that people use one
> password for everything, he then successfully uninstalled the program,
> using the password his mother had given him.
>
> The young are smart, but we older folk (especially those at K9) know a
> thing or two as well. As soon as he uninstalled the program, K9 sent an
> email to my registration address informing that the program had been
> uninstalled. It is now back on, with a password that I am not revealing
> to his mother.
>
> The program runs unobtrusively, and seems to work. I tried visiting
> warez sites and googling some words referring to various body parts and
> activities thereof, and was stymied every time. You can set various
> levels of filtering, including custom. You can allow exceptions,
> temporarily or permanently. For example, I am using the Default which
> blocks social networking sites. His mother has approved Facebook, so I
> programmed in an exception. Should he not behave properly, it's very
> easy to cut off Facebook (at least on his computer).
>
> http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
> kk

Let me know when it is available on my 64-bit linux box. What I need is
a way to block inappropriate sites for individual users.

wayne

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:55:33 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> Responding to wayne:

>>> Love them. Respect them. Teach them. Guide them. Do NOT trust
>>> them.
>>>
>>> They are kids. They're probably smarter about computers than you are.
>>> If not, they have friends who are and will help them defeat whatever
>>> blocks you put on their systems.
>>>
>>> They are genetically geared at that age to push their boundaries (the
>>> ones you set) but don't have the survival instincts to understand the
>>> consequences of what they're doing. Their brains won't stop
>>> developing physiologically until they are in their twenties.
>>>
>>> Trust? Not hardly.

>> It's not really a matter of trust. Click on the wrong link and bam,
>> hard core abounds. I need something that prevents xxx sites from

> I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.
>
> Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use
> your main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
> machines behind it through that?
>
> I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
> up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.
>
> Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?
>
> On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway,
> if they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc.
> and a viral peer group network.
>
> Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk
> of severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints that
> you have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from your ISP
> at any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way going to
> sneak anything past you.
>
> If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that will
> probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a
> techno- battle with creatures way faster than you with today's
> technology.

The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
problem.

Mike Jones

Responding to wayne:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:55:33 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> Responding to wayne:

>>> It's not really a matter of trust. Click on the wrong link and bam,
>>> hard core abounds. I need something that prevents xxx sites from

>> I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.
>>
>> Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use
>> your main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
>> machines behind it through that?
>>
>> I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
>> up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.
>>
>> Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?
>>
>> On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway,
>> if they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc.
>> and a viral peer group network.
>>
>> Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk
>> of severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints that
>> you have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from your
>> ISP at any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way going
>> to sneak anything past you.
>>
>> If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that will
>> probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a
>> techno- battle with creatures way faster than you with today's
>> technology.

> The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
> be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
> actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
> problem.

Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you engage
with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather than
looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by treating
them as if you don't trust them.

Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
you're doing, and how, and why.

If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It
helps.

--
*===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
*===( http://principiadiscordia.com/

wayne

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:50:59 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> Responding to wayne:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:55:33 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Responding to wayne:

>>> I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.
>>>
>>> Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use
>>> your main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter
>>> any machines behind it through that?
>>>
>>> I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
>>> up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.
>>>
>>> Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?
>>>
>>> On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway,
>>> if they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc.
>>> and a viral peer group network.
>>>
>>> Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk
>>> of severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints
>>> that you have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from
>>> your ISP at any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way
>>> going to sneak anything past you.
>>>
>>> If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that
>>> will probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a
>>> techno- battle with creatures way faster than you with today's
>>> technology.

>> The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
>> be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
>> actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
>> problem.

> Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you engage
> with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather than
> looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by treating
> them as if you don't trust them.
>
> Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
> you're doing, and how, and why.
>

> If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It helps.

OK, this has become a linux issue instead of a firefox issue. I was
hoping for a browser solution, but I guess one doesn't exist yet. Here
are my ideal requirements:

1) Will not allow visiting unapproved web sites. Perhaps it could
reference a wiki of approved sites?

2) Cannot be disabled or uninstalled without a password (darn clever
kids). Won't stop the most determined ones, but those would be smart
enough to find other solutions anyway (e.g. install there own browser).

3) Have different levels of protection. Young kids (3-7) can go to kids
sites, older kids (8-12) more mature sites, teens (13-17) can have more
freedom to do research, etc.

4) Only applies to certain login accounts. I still want my pron

I think this would be immensely useful for parents.

Thanks,

-- Wayne.

Mike Jones

Responding to wayne:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:50:59 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> Responding to wayne:

>>> The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to
>>> all be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We
>>> can't actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually
>>> not a problem.

>> Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you
>> engage with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather
>> than looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by
>> treating them as if you don't trust them.
>>
>> Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
>> you're doing, and how, and why.
>>

>> If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It
>> helps.

> OK, this has become a linux issue instead of a firefox issue. I was
> hoping for a browser solution, but I guess one doesn't exist yet. Here
> are my ideal requirements:
>
> 1) Will not allow visiting unapproved web sites. Perhaps it could
> reference a wiki of approved sites?
>
> 2) Cannot be disabled or uninstalled without a password (darn clever
> kids). Won't stop the most determined ones, but those would be smart
> enough to find other solutions anyway (e.g. install there own browser).
>
> 3) Have different levels of protection. Young kids (3-7) can go to kids
> sites, older kids (8-12) more mature sites, teens (13-17) can have more
> freedom to do research, etc.
>
> 4) Only applies to certain login accounts. I still want my pron
>
> I think this would be immensely useful for parents.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Wayne.

Ah. You want a "Do it for me" product.

If you want something to give you this much control, you're going to end
up either trusting something somebody else has hacked together, or you're
going to need to review exactly what it is you want to do, and figure out
how to set things up to do those things for yourself.

Setting up a LAN server that only allows certain approved URLs, while
doable, is going to be so lame your kids will just walk away from it and
go use their freind's machines instead.

Go watch a few episodes of South Park and get back to us. ;\

--
*===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
*===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
*===( http://www.slackware.com/

Leonidas Jones

wayne wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:50:59 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> Responding to wayne:

>>> The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
>>> be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
>>> actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
>>> problem.

>> Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you engage
>> with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather than
>> looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by treating
>> them as if you don't trust them.
>>
>> Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
>> you're doing, and how, and why.
>>

>> If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It helps.
>>

> OK, this has become a linux issue instead of a firefox issue. I was
> hoping for a browser solution, but I guess one doesn't exist yet. Here
> are my ideal requirements:
>
> 1) Will not allow visiting unapproved web sites. Perhaps it could
> reference a wiki of approved sites?
>
> 2) Cannot be disabled or uninstalled without a password (darn clever
> kids). Won't stop the most determined ones, but those would be smart
> enough to find other solutions anyway (e.g. install there own browser).
>
> 3) Have different levels of protection. Young kids (3-7) can go to kids
> sites, older kids (8-12) more mature sites, teens (13-17) can have more
> freedom to do research, etc.
>
> 4) Only applies to certain login accounts. I still want my pron
>
> I think this would be immensely useful for parents.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Wayne.

Wayne, this is a losing battle.

With any controls you put up, if you leave your kids unattended at the
computer, they will be able to defeat it. If you want to keep them from
visiting certain sites, supervise them on the internet. Its the opnly way.

Lee

Charani

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:26:05 -0700 (PDT), yogi22 wrote:

> The program runs unobtrusively, and seems to work. I tried visiting
> warez sites and googling some words referring to various body parts
> and activities thereof, and was stymied every time. You can set
> various levels of filtering, including custom. You can allow
> exceptions, temporarily or permanently. For example, I am using the
> Default which blocks social networking sites.
>
> http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Thank you for this ) My dau (14) wants to have internet access on
her on PC which we've "not got around to doing" ) so far. This
seems to be an admirable solution. Until we get a Roundtuit, she'll
have to use either my or my husband's computer under supervision.

JR

wayne wrote:
> Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
> visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
> them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora 10
> which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
> would like to enable it, if possible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Wayne.

Perhaps this is what you are looking for.

JR

wayne

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:26:37 +0200, JR wrote:

> wayne wrote:
>> Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
>> visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
>> them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora
>> 10 which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
>> would like to enable it, if possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Wayne.

> Perhaps this is what you are looking for.

It looks promising. I think I'll try version 6 because they made it to
where you have to pay for version 7. Thanks.

-- Wayne.