Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Cable Tracing

Re: Cable Tracing

Doug McIntyre

Lovejoy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have inherited a lan closet that we share with another group that has
>their own 4506. Needless to say it is a huge furball, and nothing is
>labeled, on either ours or their switch. Is there some easy way or
>tool to trace a patch cable from the switch to the patch panel, like
>tracing from the drop to the patch panel with a toner? Almost anything
>would be better than trying to manually trace the cable by hand.

Unplug it and see who screams?

No, there's not any easy way.

You could make sure port link logging is turned on in the cisco
switch, and unplug and plug things quickly in some order, and see what
ports go up/down in the logs. If its super critical, then do it after hours.

That would be about the easiest way to determine it.

Afterall, the main cost for rewiring is something like 70-80%
somebody's time, not materials.

tweety

On Apr 9, 7:57*pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lovejoy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I have inherited a lan closet that we share with another group that has
> >their own 4506. *Needless to say it is a huge furball, and nothing is
> >labeled, on either ours or their switch. *Is there some easy way or
> >tool to trace a patch cable from the switch to the patch panel, like
> >tracing from the drop to the patch panel with a toner? *Almost anything
> >would be better than trying to manually trace the cable by hand.

> Unplug it and see who screams?
>
> No, there's not any easy way.
>
> You could make sure port link logging is turned on in the cisco
> switch, and unplug and plug things quickly in some order, and see what
> ports go up/down in the logs. If its super critical, then do it after hours.
>
> That would be about the easiest way to determine it.
>
> Afterall, the main cost for rewiring is something like 70-80%
> somebody's time, not materials.

Hi, on any windows devices you can install a little cdp app, cdp
monitor version 3 now i think, run this on the windows boxes, then do
a sh cdp nei on the switches and bobs yer uncle, also look at mac
address table on switchports etc

i know how you feel, i inherited a whole data centre and the cabling
was shocking, i would seriousley think about not just pulling cables
and see who screams, there may be apps like neverfail or nomax running
replication of exchange boxes etc and this would throw servers into a
passive active flip, i speak from experience, one cable pull cost me a
days work, travel to a secondary site to manually throw the traffic
back to the primary box and nearly got my ass chewed off

hope this helps

andrew