Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Tracing

Tracing

Jim Heavey

I am trying to understand the use of Tracing/

In the @page you can add Trace="true" which provides a page of tracing
information. Where can I find some material to help me make sense of the
information which is presented. I hear it is very useful, so I would like
to undertand how to use it.

What is the difference between the @Page directive of Trace="True" and the
<trace> element in the web.Configure file? I have used this option and
then used the "trace.axd" utility to presnt the information. Kind of looks
like the same information with a different way to get at it. Any material
which will help me understand what is being presented and how to use?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!!!!!!!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The tracing information becomes even more useful when you output your own
trace information. As implemented by default, you can see where potential
perf problems are, but not much else. When you write to trace, you have a
bit of a debug on a production application, without incurring a lot of
overhead (like a debugger would).

The benefit of trace.axd is the ability to view the trace information
without everyone in the world being able to view it, or is that "being
forced to view it."

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
news:Xns944484D77FA7BJimHeaveyhotmailcom@207.46.24 8.16...

tracing a mac address? dexx Cisco 6 05-26-2005 10:18 AM
Tracing a route question rc@die@you@!spammers.sandworm.demon.co.uk Cisco 5 11-08-2004 12:02 PM
Re: ASP 3 Debugging and Tracing in VB.Net Bruce Wayne ASP .Net 2 10-30-2003 02:45 PM
tracing output explanation Benjie Fallar ASP .Net 0 07-15-2003 01:34 AM

Advertisments