Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: MagicJack Question

Re: MagicJack Question

Baron

Van Chocstraw wrote:

> Ernie Willson wrote:
>> I bought a MagicJack a while ago. It worked perfectly when connected
>> to the USB port on the front of my computer. After a while I started
>> getting a message to the effect that the device in the (front)USB
>> port was unrecognized. I then put the Magicjack into another USB port
>> (bask of the same computer) and it works.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to get this thing to work with the first USB
>> port, and tell me what is wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> EJ in NJ

> You can overload and burn out a USB port. They seem to have NO
> protection. I have burned out a few on laptops.

The USB port has fuse protection nowadays ! In the early days there was
a choke in series with the +5 volt line that used to burn open circuit.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Baron

Van Chocstraw wrote:

> Baron wrote:
>> Van Chocstraw wrote:

>>> You can overload and burn out a USB port. They seem to have NO
>>> protection. I have burned out a few on laptops.

>> The USB port has fuse protection nowadays ! In the early days there
>> was a choke in series with the +5 volt line that used to burn open
>> circuit.
>>

> Fuse? where on the motherboard and you need a microscope to see it?
> It's as good as dead if you can't replace the fuse.

No you don't need a microscope ! If you look carefully at the
motherboard around the USB socket area you should see one or more
yellow components, about 6 or 7 mm square and 1mm or so thick ! That
is a "Polyfuse" It is thermally triggered on over current and will
self reset within 15 - 30 seconds.

As far as the O/C choke is concerned I just used to replace them ! Its
no big deal and I never needed a microscope... Though I would
nowadays.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.