Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > building release - assert-free python library

building release - assert-free python library

grbgooglefan

How can I build a release and not the debug version of libpython.a?
I have seen that there are assert, abort statements in lot many
functions in Python code. I would like to avoid those when compiling
the libpython.a library because when this libpython gets used for
production purpose and it aborts, the application goes down without
any means of graceful handling that error condition.
How can we handle this?
Please help

Ulrich Eckhardt

grbgooglefan wrote:
> How can I build a release and not the debug version of libpython.a?
> I have seen that there are assert, abort statements in lot many
> functions in Python code. I would like to avoid those when compiling
> the libpython.a library because when this libpython gets used for
> production purpose and it aborts, the application goes down without
> any means of graceful handling that error condition.

You are misunderstanding assertions. If an assertion fires, you always have
a programming error that can not be recovered from. So, your program will
go down anyway, the difference is a defined way from an assertion compared
to an undefined one that can mean random corruption sometime sooner or
later. That said, the only reason to go without assertions is to improve
performance.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
grbgooglefan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How can I build a release and not the debug version of libpython.a?
>I have seen that there are assert, abort statements in lot many
>functions in Python code. I would like to avoid those when compiling
>the libpython.a library because when this libpython gets used for
>production purpose and it aborts, the application goes down without
>any means of graceful handling that error condition.
>How can we handle this?

Are you talking about Python source code or C source code?

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?