Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Unapproved GBIC

Unapproved GBIC

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

Hi all, we are quite custom to using non-cisco branded SFP's and
GBIC's in our switches, I use the commands:

service unsupported-transceiver
no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid
errdisable recovery cause gbic-invalid

which allows the optics to be used even when they come up with an
invalid GBIC error. However this new bunch of optics we have bought
comes up with a different error:

%C4K_CHASSIS-3-SFPCRCINTEGRITYCHECKFAILED: SFP integrity check on port
Gi*/* failed: bad crc

sh int g*/*
g*/8 is down, media type is Unapproved GBIC
Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, link type is auto, media type is Unapproved
GBIC

I have had this error on two different 4507's the commands above don't
do anything, Several different GBIC's have all done the same, is there
a way to over ride this check? otherwise we have a fairly large bunch
of paper weights.

Flamer.

Thrill5

If you can't return the SFP's then indeed you have a bunch of new paper
weights. Even though you can use non-Cisco SFP's and GBIC's, you need to
use ones that are compatible with Cisco (and their intended purpose). SFP's
and GBIC's are just like memory in a PC, you need the right kind that are
compatible with the system you are installing them in.

I have been purchasing non-Cisco GBIC's and SFP's for years and never had a
problem, but I have always purchased them from vendors that offer a 100%
satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime hardware warranty. Never had to use
the commands you have listed either.

Check out www.cxtec.com.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, we are quite custom to using non-cisco branded SFP's and
> GBIC's in our switches, I use the commands:
>
> service unsupported-transceiver
> no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid
> errdisable recovery cause gbic-invalid
>
> which allows the optics to be used even when they come up with an
> invalid GBIC error. However this new bunch of optics we have bought
> comes up with a different error:
>
> %C4K_CHASSIS-3-SFPCRCINTEGRITYCHECKFAILED: SFP integrity check on port
> Gi*/* failed: bad crc
>
> sh int g*/*
> g*/8 is down, media type is Unapproved GBIC
> Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, link type is auto, media type is Unapproved
> GBIC
>

> I have had this error on two different 4507's the commands above don't
> do anything, Several different GBIC's have all done the same, is there
> a way to over ride this check? otherwise we have a fairly large bunch
> of paper weights.
>
> Flamer.

Doug McIntyre

"flamer http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Hi all, we are quite custom to using non-cisco branded SFP's and
>GBIC's in our switches, I use the commands:

>service unsupported-transceiver
>no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid
>errdisable recovery cause gbic-invalid

>which allows the optics to be used even when they come up with an
>invalid GBIC error. However this new bunch of optics we have bought
>comes up with a different error:

>%C4K_CHASSIS-3-SFPCRCINTEGRITYCHECKFAILED: SFP integrity check on port
>Gi*/* failed: bad crc

I'd say that if the checksum in the EPROM is bad, that the hardware
hasn't been properly setup, and you bought damaged goods.

Imagine if you bought a bunch of NIC cards, and they had bad EPROMs
setting their MAC addresses, so a whole bunch had illegal MAC
addresses on the network. Some maybe worked in some networks, but
other network devices bounced those cards out.

Would you consider the cards bad? Or that your network isn't as
flexible as you need it to be?

If you bought SFPs with scrambled EPROMs, I'd say they are defective,
not that the switch isn't flexible to accept anything.

GBIC module to drive 100Base over fibre Edmunde Lee Cisco 5 04-08-2004 06:25 AM
GBIC connector 1000Base-sx short wavelength Network2004 Cisco 1 04-01-2004 12:45 PM
GBIC & a 3548 Switch blw Cisco 3 02-23-2004 10:45 PM
Catalyst 4006 and GBIC question Rob Cisco 1 12-16-2003 11:00 PM
FA - Cisco GBIC WS-G5483 hOwLa Cisco 0 07-18-2003 07:03 PM

Advertisments