Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Ca't telnet to cisco router from outside network. Inside works fine..

Ca't telnet to cisco router from outside network. Inside works fine..

ejeangilles ejeangilles is offline
Junior Member

Hello all!

I have aproblem that I'm just stuck on. I have a practice lab in my network with an access server. I have comcast and a linksys router as my firewall. I have been doing port forwarding for some time to access my computers such as rdp, ftp, etc so i'm familiar with it. I can't seem to telnet to my cisco router from the outside I have dyndns setup and its been working fine. I can't telnet wheher its by domain name or IP address. I opened ports 23 on my router and that doesn't work. I can telnet internally to my router just fine but not externally. This router has IOS 12.4 enterprise. Any help would be appreciated!!

dood dood is offline
Junior Member

not sure if you are aware of the configuration expectations so...

Quote:
How to Configure FTP or Telnet Authentication Proxy

To enable FTP or Telnet authentication proxy, you must enable AAA services, configure the FTP or Telnet server, and enable authentication proxy. This section contains the following procedures:

•Configuring AAA

•Configuring the Authentication Proxy

•Verifying FTP or Telnet Authentication Proxy

•Monitoring and Maintaining FTP or Telnet Authentication Proxy Sessions
Configuring AAA

To use authentication proxy, you must configure a AAA server for authentication. The authentication proxy service of the AAA server must also be configured for authorization. To configure these tasks, perform the following steps:
SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. aaa new-model

4. aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ group radius

5. aaa authorization auth-proxy default [[group tacacs+] [group radius]]

6. aaa authorization exec default [group tacacs+] [group radius]

7. aaa accounting auth-proxy default stop-only [group tacacs+] [group radius]

8. access-list access-list-number {permit | deny} {tcp | ip | icmp} host source eq tacacs host destination
source: w-w-w.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/security/configuration/guide/sec_fwall_auth_ftp_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configurati on_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1038640

Torrence Torrence is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeangilles
Hello all!

I have aproblem that I'm just stuck on. I have a practice lab in my network with an access server. I have comcast and a linksys router as my firewall. I have been doing port forwarding for some time to access my computers such as rdp, ftp, etc so i'm familiar with it. I can't seem to telnet to my cisco router from the outside I have dyndns setup and its been working fine. I can't telnet wheher its by domain name or IP address. I opened ports 23 on my router and that doesn't work. I can telnet internally to my router just fine but not externally. This router has IOS 12.4 enterprise. Any help would be appreciated!!
May be you did not create a (gateway) default route out and allow inward access into your routers network gateway port. You should know that by default the access list declares all access as disallowed.

Last edited by Torrence; 03-09-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Torrence Torrence is offline
Junior Member

You should check the current access list running on your router and make some changes to it.

Last edited by Torrence; 03-09-2010 at 10:39 AM..

farneville farneville is offline
Junior Member

check your firewall

namratasnv namratasnv is offline
Junior Member

I do suggest you to check the firewall as, may be there is a problem happening during firewall so, it needs to be manage properly.

Thanks

Akilla21 Akilla21 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Check with Comcast... they generally don't allow remote access from outside connections. Especially, on Residential connections and even on the business class connections you have to request remote access and give the IP of src connection.

They do allow :8080 remote access, so maybe you can change the telnet port number to 8080 and see if that works. If not, I strongly recommend giving comcast a call.