Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: MagicJack Question

Re: MagicJack Question

Paul

Ernie Willson wrote:

> Van Chocstraw wrote:
>> Ernie Willson wrote:
>>> I bought a MagicJack a while ago. It worked perfectly when connected
>>> to the USB port on the front of my computer. After a while I started
>>> getting a message to the effect that the device in the (front)USB
>>> port was unrecognized. I then put the Magicjack into another USB port
>>> (bask of the same computer) and it works.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to get this thing to work with the first USB
>>> port, and tell me what is wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> EJ in NJ

>> You can overload and burn out a USB port. They seem to have NO
>> protection. I have burned out a few on laptops.

> I don't know why, but the port still works with all my mini
> (Jump)drives. It will not work with the MagicJack though.
>
> I tried removing and replacing the USB port as mentioned by the first
> respondent, but that was no help either.
>
> EJ in NJ

It is possible the problem is in the USB stack and associated registry
entries.

For example, if I look in the registry, I can see entries with the "Rally2"
name in them, for my USB flash stick. The OS remembers devices that have
been inserted. Preferably, each USB device should use a serial number,
so that it is easier for the OS to realize it has already seen the device.

For some USB problems, this page has some hints.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html

This is another site with various items on USB.

http://www.usbman.com/

*******

USB stack cleanup.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup...afe%20Mode.htm

An automated tool for USB stack cleanup (I haven't tried this). Uses DEVCON.
See "renewUSB.bat".

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Van Chocstraw wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Ernie Willson wrote:

>>> I don't know why, but the port still works with all my mini
>>> (Jump)drives. It will not work with the MagicJack though.
>>>
>>> I tried removing and replacing the USB port as mentioned by the first
>>> respondent, but that was no help either.
>>>
>>> EJ in NJ

>> It is possible the problem is in the USB stack and associated registry
>> entries.
>>
>> For example, if I look in the registry, I can see entries with the
>> "Rally2"
>> name in them, for my USB flash stick. The OS remembers devices that have
>> been inserted. Preferably, each USB device should use a serial number,
>> so that it is easier for the OS to realize it has already seen the
>> device.
>>
>> For some USB problems, this page has some hints.
>>
>> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html
>>
>> This is another site with various items on USB.
>>
>> http://www.usbman.com/
>>
>> *******
>>
>> USB stack cleanup.
>>
>> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup...afe%20Mode.htm
>>
>> An automated tool for USB stack cleanup (I haven't tried this). Uses
>> DEVCON.
>> See "renewUSB.bat".
>>
>> http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul

> That's not what I was talking about. When the USB port is broken that
> won't fix it and neither Windows nor Linux can use the port.

The OP said, in his second post...

I don't know why, but the port still works with all my mini (Jump) drives.

That means the port is not broken. The interface on it at least,
is still working. There isn't an easy way to prove what range of
milliamps the port can provide, but that test result suggests
more of a software problem. If the port refused to work with anything,
that would suggest more of a hardware issue.

Booting an alternate OS, plugging in the MagicJack, and enumerating
USB devices, would be another way to see if the MagicJack is there.
Such as booting a Linux LiveCD (Knoppix) and running "lsusb". Run
lsusb without Magicjack installed, then install it and list the
USB devices a second time. If the entry is seen, it means the
MagicJack is able to communicate over the USB bus.

Paul