Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Best way to start

Best way to start

Avi

Hi,

What is a good way to learn Python?

Do you recommend going by a book (suggestions welcome) or learning
with tutorials? Both?

Thanks in advance,
Avi

Chris Rebert

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Avi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is a good way to learn Python?
>
> Do you recommend going by a book (suggestions welcome) or learning
> with tutorials? Both?

The official Python tutorial is pretty darn good:
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/
If you want a book as well, I personally liked "Python in a Nutshell";
it's not in tutorial format, but you can definitely learn Python from
it.

Cheers,
Chris

--
I have a blog:
http://blog.rebertia.com

Avi

A BIG Thanks to Chris and Andrew for suggestions.

This is an awesome place.

namekuseijin: haha...got a friend hooked to Python on chat? hilarious!

Tairic

I was looking for a language that seemed easier to learn and that was
powerful, so I just started learning Python myself. I'm using some
online tutorials and The book "Python Power!" by Matt Telles. Some of
the O'Reilley books looked ok (I spent a while in the bookstore
deciding), but this one was a bit cheaper, and seemed to fit the bill;
it covers most of what I wanted to know, and I found it pretty easy to
read. My only complaint is it doesn't have you spend much time coding,
so I scoured the internet for CS classes with python 'homework' and
did that. Anyways, good luck!

Ken Dere

Avi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is a good way to learn Python?
>
> Do you recommend going by a book (suggestions welcome) or learning
> with tutorials? Both?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Avi

A good book is Learning Python by Lutz (O'Reilly)

Then, you need to do some actual programming. The best way is to figure out
some program that you would like to write.

Ken D