Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Switch errors in Kiwi CatTools

Switch errors in Kiwi CatTools

Jason

I've just started using Kiwi CatTools to monitor our switches. When viewing
the built in Error report for our 3750 & 3550s there are a lot of columns
of which I'm unsure of the meaning i.e. Watchdog, Align errors, Output
buffer failures, etc. Is there anywhere on Cisco's site that lists what
exactly these errors refer to so I can start to troubleshoot them?

TIA, Jase

bod43

On 6 Apr, 15:21, Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've just started using Kiwi CatTools to monitor our switches. When viewing
> the built in Error report for our 3750 & 3550s there are a lot of columns
> of which I'm unsure of the meaning i.e. Watchdog, Align errors, Output
> buffer failures, etc. Is there anywhere on Cisco's site that lists what
> exactly these errors refer to so I can start to troubleshoot them?

Quite possibly, or maybe not.

Have you tried a search on the terms
that you have mentioned?

Please describe as far as is possible where you have
reached in your troubleshooting so far.

Align errors may be due to duplex missmatches.
An align error is recorded when an ethernet receiver
records an incomplete received byte. That is:- the frame
did not comprise a exact multiple of 8 bit bytes.
This can occur on a correctly functioning half duplex
ethernet network but can never occur on a correctly
functioning full duplex ethernet.

I have never seen "output buffer failures". No idea about
watchdogs. What show command displays the watchdogs?

In general you should post as much information as you have.
For example the full output from the show commands
that are concerning you.

Conserving information will result in fewer and less informed

So, please post:-
relevant - sh int ! or sh int - all of them
sh buff
sh mem
sh proc cpu
sh ver

Also, please highlight the items that particularly concern you.

Stephen

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:04:15 -0700 (PDT), bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 6 Apr, 15:21, Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've just started using Kiwi CatTools to monitor our switches. When viewing
>> the built in Error report for our 3750 & 3550s there are a lot of columns
>> of which I'm unsure of the meaning i.e. Watchdog, Align errors, Output
>> buffer failures, etc. Is there anywhere on Cisco's site that lists what
>> exactly these errors refer to so I can start to troubleshoot them?

>Quite possibly, or maybe not.
>
>Have you tried a search on the terms
>that you have mentioned?
>
>Please describe as far as is possible where you have
>reached in your troubleshooting so far.
>
>Align errors may be due to duplex missmatches.
>An align error is recorded when an ethernet receiver
>records an incomplete received byte. That is:- the frame
>did not comprise a exact multiple of 8 bit bytes.
>This can occur on a correctly functioning half duplex
>ethernet network but can never occur on a correctly
>functioning full duplex ethernet.
>
>I have never seen "output buffer failures".

3560 / 3750s dont have much outbound buffer memory, and it is in a
dynamic pool so it can be allocated to ports on an "as needed" basis.
- so you may have a burst of packets you cannot buffer.

No idea about
>watchdogs. What show command displays the watchdogs?
>

>In general you should post as much information as you have.
>For example the full output from the show commands
>that are concerning you.
>
>Conserving information will result in fewer and less informed
>
>So, please post:-
>relevant - sh int ! or sh int - all of them
>sh buff
>sh mem
>sh proc cpu
>sh ver

try the commands in the "show mls qos" tree and see if you can find
corresponding stuff - there are a lot there that show low level
errors.

also there are commands to get down to the stats in the actual chipset
which may have this kind of detail.

--
Regards

bod43

On 8 Apr, 20:47, Stephen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:04:15 -0700 (PDT), bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> >I have never seen "output buffer failures".

> 3560 / 3750s dont have much outbound buffer memory, and it is in a
> dynamic pool so it can be allocated to ports on an "as needed" basis.
> - so you may have a burst of packets you cannot buffer.
>

> try the commands in the "show mls qos" tree and see if you can find
> corresponding stuff - there are a lot there that show low level
> errors.
>
> also there are commands to get down to the stats in the actual chipset
> which may have this kind of detail.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Never needed to do
that kind of think on those platforms. Not had a heavily
loaded one.

CatTools & Catalyst Macro's Spee Cisco 0 02-19-2006 09:45 PM
anyone using kiwi syslog? jcharth@hotmail.com Cisco 3 10-20-2005 07:02 PM
Kiwi Syslog Someone Cisco 2 10-13-2005 05:57 AM
Kiwi Alpha Omega Jim Computer Support 9 12-09-2004 04:12 AM