Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linking 2 computers with 2 networks.

Linking 2 computers with 2 networks.

pawihte

I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via their
built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?

The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet
connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
connection between the two computers, while linking to the rest
of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.

Colon Terminus

"pawihte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:grd0q8$tfv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a conflict if
> I link two computers with a crossover cable via their built-in Gb ports,
> and at the same time connect them both to a 100 Mbps switch using PCI
> 10/100 NICs?
>
> The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet connection
> with other computers. The aim is to have a fast connection between the two
> computers, while linking to the rest of the network at a more sedate 100
> Mbps.

No problem at all, if you know what you're doing.
Just specify the appropriate protocols to be used by each connection.

why?

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:11:24 +0530, pawihte wrote:

>I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
>conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via their
>built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
>100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?

You could always replace the 100Mbps switch with a 1000Mbps switch and
avoid the issue all together.

>The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet

Especially as you still want sharing / internet access.

>connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
>connection between the two computers, while linking to the rest
>of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.

So you are already maxing out the 100Mbps link on the switch between
those 2 PC's?

You are more likely not going to be able to push enough traffic out of 1
GbE port.

Oh and Yes, you should set up static IP addresses for the 2 GbE NICs.
Outside of the range already in use.

A Linksys WRT54G , using VLANs and a couple of Intel Pro/1000 NICs which
have VLANs in thier drivers might also work. I haven't tested it yet,
then agin I want to setup NIC teams now that I have 4 INtel NICs.

Me

why?

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 16:12:27 GMT, why? wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:11:24 +0530, pawihte wrote:
>
>>I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
>>conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via their
>>built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
>>100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?

>You could always replace the 100Mbps switch with a 1000Mbps switch and
>avoid the issue all together.
>
>>The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet

>Especially as you still want sharing / internet access.
>
>>connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
>>connection between the two computers, while linking to the rest
>>of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.

>So you are already maxing out the 100Mbps link on the switch between
>those 2 PC's?
>
>You are more likely not going to be able to push enough traffic out of 1
>GbE port.
>
>Oh and Yes, you should set up static IP addresses for the 2 GbE NICs.
>Outside of the range already in use.
>
>A Linksys WRT54G , using VLANs and a couple of Intel Pro/1000 NICs which

Except for the bit with the wrong router name that was the 10/100
DD-WRT and VLANs.

Most likely I meant something else like 1 off the GbE routers, but can't
remember yet.

Me

pawihte

why? wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:11:24 +0530, pawihte wrote:
>
>> I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
>> conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via
>> their
>> built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
>> 100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?

> You could always replace the 100Mbps switch with a 1000Mbps
> switch and
> avoid the issue all together.
>
>> The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet

> Especially as you still want sharing / internet access.
>
>> connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
>> connection between the two computers, while linking to the
>> rest
>> of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.

> So you are already maxing out the 100Mbps link on the switch
> between
> those 2 PC's?
>
> You are more likely not going to be able to push enough traffic
> out
> of 1 GbE port.
>
> Oh and Yes, you should set up static IP addresses for the 2 GbE
> NICs.
> Outside of the range already in use.
>
> A Linksys WRT54G , using VLANs and a couple of Intel Pro/1000
> NICs
> which have VLANs in thier drivers might also work. I haven't
> tested
> it yet, then agin I want to setup NIC teams now that I have 4
> INtel
> NICs.

Thanks for the reply. I'll lump my reply here instead of
interleaving it with your post.

I understand that it will be technically simpler to have an
all-Gb network. But I already have an existing network of 8
computers using two 8-port 10/100 Mbps switches and CAT5 cable.
The idea is to avoid having to invest in an expensive 16-port
1000 Mbps switch and new cabling. Although the existing 8
computers all have GbE ports, they don't really need to connect
at Gb speed either among themselves or with the two new
computers. The network is used mainly for internet sharing and
infrequent transfer of relatively small files. OTOH, the two new
computers will frequently exchange large files, often of multi-GB
sizes. Am I on the right track?

I understand that I'll have to assign unique static IP addresses,
and different ones for the two ports on a single computer. My
main concern was whether connecting two computers with two
concurrent networks will form an unstable loop. I can now proceed
with confidence. Thanks again.

pawihte

Colon Terminus wrote:
> "pawihte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:grd0q8$tfv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
>> conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via
>> their
>> built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
>> 100
>> Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?
>>
>> The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet
>> connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
>> connection between the two computers, while linking to the
>> rest of
>> the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.
>>

> No problem at all, if you know what you're doing.
> Just specify the appropriate protocols to be used by each
> connection.

Thanks for your interest and for the assurance. You've put my
mind at ease. More details in my reply to why?'s post.

RickMerrill

pawihte wrote:
> why? wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:11:24 +0530, pawihte wrote:
>>
>>> I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
>>> conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via
>>> their
>>> built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
>>> 100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?

>> You could always replace the 100Mbps switch with a 1000Mbps
>> switch and
>> avoid the issue all together.
>>
>>> The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet

>> Especially as you still want sharing / internet access.
>>
>>> connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
>>> connection between the two computers, while linking to the
>>> rest
>>> of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.

>> So you are already maxing out the 100Mbps link on the switch
>> between
>> those 2 PC's?
>>
>> You are more likely not going to be able to push enough traffic
>> out
>> of 1 GbE port.
>>
>> Oh and Yes, you should set up static IP addresses for the 2 GbE
>> NICs.
>> Outside of the range already in use.
>>
>> A Linksys WRT54G , using VLANs and a couple of Intel Pro/1000
>> NICs
>> which have VLANs in thier drivers might also work. I haven't
>> tested
>> it yet, then agin I want to setup NIC teams now that I have 4
>> INtel
>> NICs.
>>

> Thanks for the reply. I'll lump my reply here instead of
> interleaving it with your post.
>
> I understand that it will be technically simpler to have an
> all-Gb network. But I already have an existing network of 8
> computers using two 8-port 10/100 Mbps switches and CAT5 cable.
> The idea is to avoid having to invest in an expensive 16-port
> 1000 Mbps switch and new cabling. Although the existing 8
> computers all have GbE ports, they don't really need to connect
> at Gb speed either among themselves or with the two new
> computers. The network is used mainly for internet sharing and
> infrequent transfer of relatively small files. OTOH, the two new
> computers will frequently exchange large files, often of multi-GB
> sizes. Am I on the right track?
>
> I understand that I'll have to assign unique static IP addresses,
> and different ones for the two ports on a single computer. My
> main concern was whether connecting two computers with two
> concurrent networks will form an unstable loop. I can now proceed
> with confidence. Thanks again.

A 1Gb switch will come with 10/100/1000 autodetect so you can plug all
into it. Furthermore, since it's a switch, you will not be broadcasting
all to all as a hub does. You should see better performance all around.
Move up to cat6 for the 1Gb stuff.

If you have two networks the will have to be on different ip sets...

Desk Rabbit

pawihte wrote:
> I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
> conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via their
> built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
> 100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?
>
> The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet
> connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
> connection between the two computers, while linking to the rest
> of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.

Save yourself the hassle and upgrade to a Gb switch. I have to say
though it seems to me you are looking for a solution to a problem that
doesn't really exist.

pawihte

Desk Rabbit wrote:
> pawihte wrote:
>> I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
>> conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via
>> their
>> built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
>> 100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?
>>
>> The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet
>> connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
>> connection between the two computers, while linking to the
>> rest
>> of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.
>>

> Save yourself the hassle and upgrade to a Gb switch.

If it works - and the consensus seems to be that it will - my
approach is much less of a hassle, and less expensive, than
setting up a new Gb LAN because the 100 Mbps setup already exists
(pls see my reply to the others). Nothing to buy or set up except
one short run of CAT6 crossover cable.

I have to say
> though it seems to me you are looking for a solution to a
> problem that
> doesn't really exist.

My question was whether there *could* be a problem. Seems not.
Thanks for your interest.

Desk Rabbit

pawihte wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote:
>> pawihte wrote:
>>> I'll be grateful if anyone could tell me this: Will there be a
>>> conflict if I link two computers with a crossover cable via
>>> their
>>> built-in Gb ports, and at the same time connect them both to a
>>> 100 Mbps switch using PCI 10/100 NICs?
>>>
>>> The switch will also be used for sharing files and an internet
>>> connection with other computers. The aim is to have a fast
>>> connection between the two computers, while linking to the
>>> rest
>>> of the network at a more sedate 100 Mbps.
>>>

>> Save yourself the hassle and upgrade to a Gb switch.

> If it works - and the consensus seems to be that it will - my
> approach is much less of a hassle, and less expensive, than
> setting up a new Gb LAN because the 100 Mbps setup already exists
> (pls see my reply to the others). Nothing to buy or set up except
> one short run of CAT6 crossover cable.

Patently obvious that you haven't got a clue what you are doing and are
just blindly following advice from complete strangers that know little
about your setup. Ho-hum. Have fun.