Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Retaining background image in iframe

Retaining background image in iframe

Fokke Nauta

Hi all,

I have a table with a few cells. The table has a background image. One of
the cells contains an iframe. In this cell the table background image is no
longer visable. I would like to see the background image shine through this
cell as well, so making this iframe cell sort of transparent for the table's
background image.
Can this be done? If so, how can I manage this?

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,
Fokke Nauta

rf

Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a table with a few cells. The table has a background image.
> One of the cells contains an iframe. In this cell the table
> background image is no longer visable. I would like to see the
> background image shine through this cell as well, so making this
> iframe cell sort of transparent for the table's background image.
> Can this be done?

No.

dorayme

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/tableWithIFrame.html>

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Fokke Nauta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a table with a few cells. The table has a background image. One of
> > the cells contains an iframe. In this cell the table background image is no
> > longer visable. I would like to see the background image shine through this
> > cell as well, so making this iframe cell sort of transparent for the
> > table's
> > background image.
> > Can this be done? If so, how can I manage this?
> >

> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/tableWithIFrame.html>

never mind, later... have to go...

--
dorayme

Fokke Nauta

"Fokke Nauta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a table with a few cells. The table has a background image. One of
> the cells contains an iframe. In this cell the table background image is
> no longer visable. I would like to see the background image shine through
> this cell as well, so making this iframe cell sort of transparent for the
> table's background image.
> Can this be done? If so, how can I manage this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> With kind regards,
> Fokke Nauta

Hi all,

Thanks for your quick responses.
I did not know that it was possible but it was indeed.

I gave the body-tag in the iframe document this argument:
STYLE="background-color: transparent;"
In the iframe code in the parent document I put this: ALLOWTRANSPARENCY
I even found that you can also make the scrollbar track transparant with
putting this in the iframe code: style="FILTER: chroma(color=#fffffe)"
In order to have the latter work I had to set the scrollbar track colour to
=#fffffe in the style sheet.
It all works! Not in all browsers but at least in MSIE and Firefox. Firefox
however does not show the scrollbar track transparency.

With best regards
Fokke

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2009-04-06, rf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Fokke Nauta wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have a table with a few cells. The table has a background image.
> >> One of the cells contains an iframe. In this cell the table
> >> background image is no longer visable. I would like to see the
> >> background image shine through this cell as well, so making this
> >> iframe cell sort of transparent for the table's background image.
> >> Can this be done?

> > No.

> Yes it can be done, and it is what is supposed to happen.
>
> I just tested it and it works in Firefox and Opera, but not Konqueror.
>
> See CSS 2.1 Appendix E.2:
>
> The canvas is transparent if contained within another, and given a
> UA-defined color if it is not.
>
> Konqueror gives the iframe canvas the UA-defined colour (i.e. white),
> which is wrong. It's meant to be transparent.

So, in Konquerer, you are not seeing a bg in the left cell in:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/tableWithIFrame.html>

?

In Mac Safari it shows, as in all my browsers except MacIE. Don't know
about Windows browsers yet on this one.

--
dorayme

Fokke Nauta

"Ben C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2009-04-06, Fokke Nauta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Fokke Nauta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a table with a few cells. The table has a background image. One
>>> of
>>> the cells contains an iframe. In this cell the table background image is
>>> no longer visable. I would like to see the background image shine
>>> through
>>> this cell as well, so making this iframe cell sort of transparent for
>>> the
>>> table's background image.
>>> Can this be done? If so, how can I manage this?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> With kind regards,
>>> Fokke Nauta
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks for your quick responses.
>> I did not know that it was possible but it was indeed.
>>
>> I gave the body-tag in the iframe document this argument:
>> STYLE="background-color: transparent;"
>> In the iframe code in the parent document I put this: ALLOWTRANSPARENCY
>> I even found that you can also make the scrollbar track transparant with
>> putting this in the iframe code: style="FILTER: chroma(color=#fffffe)"
>> In order to have the latter work I had to set the scrollbar track colour
>>=#fffffe in the style sheet.
>> It all works! Not in all browsers but at least in MSIE and Firefox.
>> Firefox
>> however does not show the scrollbar track transparency.

> I've never heard of ALLOWTRANSPARENCY or FILTER, presumably they're IE
> extensions.

Indeed, they are IE extensions.

> But it should be transparent in Firefox anyway as discussed (and is as
> one can see from dorayme's example).

Yes, that works allright.
Thanks!

Fokke