Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Why does this work on my site but not on my hard disk?

Why does this work on my site but not on my hard disk?

thedarkman

The index page to the site http://www.ismichaelestoneguilty.info/
contains the following:

<H2><A href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html">Cl ick
here</A> to enter site.</H2></CENTER>

on the site it works okay but not on my hard disk; I've had some help
with this site before from this group and this is not really a problem
but it is perplexing. Thanks

rf

thedarkman wrote:
> The index page to the site http://www.ismichaelestoneguilty.info/

Not found.

Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
<(E-Mail Removed)>, the
lovely and talented thedarkman broadcast on alt.html:

> The index page to the site http://www.ismichaelestoneguilty.info/
> contains the following:

Not found.

><H2><A href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html">Cl ick
> here</A> to enter site.</H2></CENTER>

</CENTER>? Really? How quaint!

> on the site it works okay but not on my hard disk; I've had some help
> with this site before from this group and this is not really a problem
> but it is perplexing. Thanks

If the link occurs in a file that is in the same directory as
m_s..._index.html it should work. filepaths and URLs are not really the
same thing and this can lead to much confusion, but if you composed the
current file and m_s_...index.html in the same directory, the relative URL
should work. However, if you saved these files from the site, perhaps your
browser added a BASE element. Check your source to see if it did. Then
since the site seems to be down, the link will not work, because it is
effectively <whatever is in BASE>/m_s_etc.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
75 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,

Small typo: http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.info/

> <H2><A href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html">Cl ick
> here</A> to enter site.</H2></CENTER>
>
> on the site it works okay but not on my hard disk; I've had some help
> with this site before from this group and this is not really a problem
> but it is perplexing. Thanks

First, who helped you with this site from this newsgroup. Please name
the individual now!

Second, change

href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html"

by adding http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.info/

after your href=" and before

On 6 Apr, 11:11, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The index page to the sitehttp://www.ismichaelestoneguilty.info/
> > contains the following:

> Small typo:http://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.info/
>

> > <H2><A href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html">Cl ick
> > here</A> to enter site.</H2></CENTER>

> > on the site it works okay but not on my hard disk; I've had some help
> > with this site before from this group and this is not really a problem
> > but it is perplexing. Thanks

> First, who helped you with this site from this newsgroup. Please name
> the individual now!

Thanks a lot guys, didn't have to add the full path; not quite sure
what I did do eventually but it now works on my hard disk. Don't
forget to sign the guestbook!

> Second, change
>
> href="m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html"
>
> by addinghttp://www.ismichaelstoneguilty.info/
>
> after your href=" and before
>
> m_s_ismichaelstoneguilty_site_index.html
>
> --
> dorayme

Raymond Schmit

How can we sign your guestbook ? by going on http://www.microsoft.com