Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Sun rejects IBM buyout, IBM withdraws offer

Sun rejects IBM buyout, IBM withdraws offer

Qu0ll

It's all over apparently.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

Mark Space

Qu0ll wrote:
> It's all over apparently.

An article in the San Fransisco Chronicle said that Sun had withdrawn
IBM's exclusive buyer status, and IBM had withdrawn their offer, but the
two companies were still talking.

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/02/state/n132642D55.DTL&tsp=1>

Arne Vajhøj

Qu0ll wrote:
> It's all over apparently.

You never know.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/05/tech...reut/index.htm

Either the talks or over or they are just playing hardball over the
price.

Arne

Stefan Ram

"Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>It's all over apparently.

Why does IBM actually have to talk with Sun?

Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
stocks of Sun on the markets?

How can Sun »reject« this?

Qu0ll

"Stefan Ram" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>It's all over apparently.

> Why does IBM actually have to talk with Sun?
>
> Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
> stocks of Sun on the markets?
>
> How can Sun »reject« this?

They can't really but that would be a straight buyout. I think Sun and IBM
were in discussions about a »merger«.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(E-Mail Removed)

Joshua Cranmer

Stefan Ram wrote:
> Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
> stocks of Sun on the markets?

Only if people were willing to sell stocks to give IBM a controlling
interest.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Stefan Ram

Joshua Cranmer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>Wouldn't it suffice, if IBM would buy the
>>stocks of Sun on the markets?

>Only if people were willing to sell stocks to give IBM a controlling
>interest.

I still do not understand it:

When Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Sun) and International Business
Machines Corporation (IBM) would agree that IBM will buy Sun,
can they force third parties to sell their stocks to IBM, then?

jharby

What could/would have happened to the Java platform if IBM had indeed
effected the buyout?
Would IBM have been able to leverage its position in the enterprise
market against Oracle/BEA
and how so?

On Apr 6, 7:47*am, Patricia Shanahan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Stefan Ram wrote:
> >> Only if people were willing to sell stocks to give IBM a controlling
> >> interest.

> > * I still do not understand it:

> > * When Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Sun) and International Business
> > * Machines Corporation (IBM) would agree that IBM will buy Sun,
> > * can they force third parties to sell their stocks to IBM, then?

> The shareholders can vote to accept a buy-out, forcing even those who
> voted against to sell.
>
> In theory, IBM could do a hostile take-over bid, making an offer
> directly to the shareholders without the board's support. That tends to
> be disruptive. I believe it is more usual when the target is physical
> assets such as buildings. IBM is more likely to want Sun's customer
> relationships, on-going developments, expertise etc., things that could
> be damaged by a management upheaval.
>
> In practice, a friendly takeover in which management advises the
> shareholders to accept an offer with negotiated terms is more likely to
> be successful and more likely to keep the target company running smoothly..
>
> Patricia

Lew

Please do not top-post.

jharby wrote:
> What could/would have happened to the Java platform if IBM had indeed
> effected the buyout?

What is your opinion on this question?

My guess is that it would have changed somewhat and continued to be
viable to the degree that it satisfied the market need for a useful
software-development platform.

> Would IBM have been able to leverage its position in the enterprise
> market against Oracle/BEA

If not, it wouldn't be for lack of trying.

> and how so?

Contact IBM marketing for an answer.

They likely will indicate that it will be through superior products
and top-notch customer service.

--
Lew

jharby

I'm thinking more in legal terms, could a company who acquired Sun
choose to privatize
and change the platform in such a way as to cripple the competition?
It'd probably be more
like "contact IBM Legal for an answer" I guess.