Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Dog race Portugal

Re: Dog race Portugal

Twibil

On Apr 5, 3:48*pm, "Focus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Top speed I found for a greyhound was 84 M/ph ! (about 138 km/h, Wiki
> answers)

Wildly over-inflated answers. I've owned and coursed greyhounds for
over 20 years, and have never seen or heard of one doing over 50 MPH,
much less 80 MPH.

Another thing I learned while coursing: never try to dodge a greyhound
that's closing on you at top speed. It won't run into you on purpose,
but if you dodge into it's path it probably won't have time to
correct, and being hit in the legs by a 70 pound dog moving at 50 MPH
will turn you into a human pinwheel. You will land on your head, and
you will sustain a concussion.

~Pete

Nicko

On Apr 5, 6:37*pm, Twibil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 3:48*pm, "Focus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Top speed I found for a greyhound was 84 M/ph ! (about 138 km/h, Wiki
> > answers)

> Wildly over-inflated answers. I've owned and coursed greyhounds for
> over 20 years, and have never seen or heard of one doing over 50 MPH,
> much less 80 MPH.

You obviously aint never seen them dawgs run away from my cousin
Bubba.

--
YOP...

TonyCooper

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:37:45 -0700 (PDT), Twibil <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Apr 5, 3:48*pm, "Focus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Top speed I found for a greyhound was 84 M/ph ! (about 138 km/h, Wiki
>> answers)

>Wildly over-inflated answers. I've owned and coursed greyhounds for
>over 20 years, and have never seen or heard of one doing over 50 MPH,
>much less 80 MPH.
>
>Another thing I learned while coursing: never try to dodge a greyhound
>that's closing on you at top speed. It won't run into you on purpose,
>but if you dodge into it's path it probably won't have time to
>correct, and being hit in the legs by a 70 pound dog moving at 50 MPH
>will turn you into a human pinwheel. You will land on your head, and
>you will sustain a concussion.

This page agrees, but puts the top speed at 45 mph. That's "up to",
meaning that the speed builds up to 45 mph over the course. That
doesn't mean the dog is running at that speed over the entire distance
of the race.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Twibil

On Apr 5, 9:21*pm, TonyCooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This page agrees, but puts the top speed at 45 mph.

I've personally seen them radar-clocked at between 45 and 50 during*an
exibition over a 100 yard -and slightly downhill- course.

> That's "up to", meaning that the speed builds up to 45 mph over the course.

Not quite. Greyhounds in a hurry can hit their full stride within
maybe 30 yards, and continue at that speed for perhaps another 200 (?)
before starting to slow due to oxygen debt. After circa 1/2 mile at
top speed they're generally*pretty much done, but that varies from dog
to dog. Racing dogs, for instance, are bred for blazing top speeds
while hunters and coursers are generally bred and trained for lower
speeds over longer distances.

Mine were hunting-bred dogs who used to run along with me in 5 and 10K
footraces, and at the human cusorial-cruising speed of circa 10 MPH
your typical greyhound can go all day long while still happily
sniffing the shorts of the lady just ahead of you... (Which startled
the lady in question no end, and caused the United States Marines
running in file just behind me to burst into approving laughter.)

~Pete

Dudley Hanks

"Twibil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Apr 5, 9:21 pm, TonyCooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This page agrees, but puts the top speed at 45 mph.

I've personally seen them radar-clocked at between 45 and 50 during an
exibition over a 100 yard -and slightly downhill- course.

> That's "up to", meaning that the speed builds up to 45 mph over the
> course.

Not quite. Greyhounds in a hurry can hit their full stride within
maybe 30 yards, and continue at that speed for perhaps another 200 (?)
before starting to slow due to oxygen debt. After circa 1/2 mile at
top speed they're generally pretty much done, but that varies from dog
to dog. Racing dogs, for instance, are bred for blazing top speeds
while hunters and coursers are generally bred and trained for lower
speeds over longer distances.

Mine were hunting-bred dogs who used to run along with me in 5 and 10K
footraces, and at the human cusorial-cruising speed of circa 10 MPH
your typical greyhound can go all day long while still happily
sniffing the shorts of the lady just ahead of you... (Which startled
the lady in question no end, and caused the United States Marines
running in file just behind me to burst into approving laughter.)

~Pete

For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel a
large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.

That was the case when I was returning home from San Francisco with my first
guide, Bonner.

He was a large, male shepherd, not quite as big as Michener, but nearly 90
pounds, nonetheless. We had pre-boarded, and the stewardess had stuck us in
a window seat in the middle of the plane. A middle-aged couple sat in the
two adjoining seats to Bonner and I, and the lady in front boarded a bit
late, not knowing that a bored shepherd had shoe-horned himself into the
area under her seat.

Bonner tried to keep quiet, but when all the meals came out, he just had to
start fidgeting, which I, of course, realized when I heard the scream from
just in front of me.

Next thing I knew, the woman was climbing over the back of her chair with
bloody murder in her eyes. But, she stopped quickly when all she saw was
three passengers eating their chicken dinners.

The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

Take Care,
Dudley

TonyCooper

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 06:16:07 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
>from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
>stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel a
>large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.
>
>That was the case when I was returning home from San Francisco with my first
>guide, Bonner.
>
>He was a large, male shepherd, not quite as big as Michener, but nearly 90
>pounds, nonetheless. We had pre-boarded, and the stewardess had stuck us in
>a window seat in the middle of the plane. A middle-aged couple sat in the
>two adjoining seats to Bonner and I, and the lady in front boarded a bit
>late, not knowing that a bored shepherd had shoe-horned himself into the
>area under her seat.
>
>Bonner tried to keep quiet, but when all the meals came out, he just had to
>start fidgeting, which I, of course, realized when I heard the scream from
>just in front of me.
>
>Next thing I knew, the woman was climbing over the back of her chair with
>bloody murder in her eyes. But, she stopped quickly when all she saw was
>three passengers eating their chicken dinners.
>
>The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

Oh, sure. Blame it on the dog. C'mon, you can level with us. How
did you manage to scoot under the seat and lick the lady's ankle?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Dudley Hanks

"TonyCooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 06:16:07 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
>>from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
>>stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel
>>large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.
>>
>>That was the case when I was returning home from San Francisco with my
>>first
>>guide, Bonner.
>>
>>He was a large, male shepherd, not quite as big as Michener, but nearly 90
>>pounds, nonetheless. We had pre-boarded, and the stewardess had stuck us
>>in
>>a window seat in the middle of the plane. A middle-aged couple sat in the
>>two adjoining seats to Bonner and I, and the lady in front boarded a bit
>>late, not knowing that a bored shepherd had shoe-horned himself into the
>>area under her seat.
>>
>>Bonner tried to keep quiet, but when all the meals came out, he just had
>>start fidgeting, which I, of course, realized when I heard the scream from
>>just in front of me.
>>
>>Next thing I knew, the woman was climbing over the back of her chair with
>>bloody murder in her eyes. But, she stopped quickly when all she saw was
>>three passengers eating their chicken dinners.
>>
>>The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...
>>

> Oh, sure. Blame it on the dog. C'mon, you can level with us. How
> did you manage to scoot under the seat and lick the lady's ankle?
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Yoga does have it's benefits...

Take Care,
Dudley

Twibil

On Apr 5, 11:16*pm, "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
> from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. *You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
> stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel a
> large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.

(SNIP)

> The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

Great story, and I suspect the young lady probably still recalls it as
well. Quite possibly with crystal clarity.

I've had a few memorable dog stories of my own, including the morning
that I found an almost-fledged young jaybird that had fallen out of
it's nest onto our front porch. As I picked it up to return it to the
nest, our big male Greyhound -Reebok- came wandering up to see what
was going on.

Not thinking, I held the tiny bird down for his inspection and there
was a sudden blur, a crisp "SNAP!", and the sight of Reebok licking
his lips -thereby displacing one small blue feather that floated
slowly to the ground...

Obviously thinking "Hey! Free brunch!" he'd plucked it cleanly out of
my hand and swallowed it before I could so much as move.

Despite that, I still miss him.

wrote:

> For a moment, imagine you are a nice young lady who has boarded a flight
> from Vancouver, Canada, to Edmonton. You're at about 35,000 feet, and the
> stewardess has just given you your meal, when, all of a suddden, you feel
> large, wet, tongue slurp across your ankle.

(SNIP)

> The situation was hysterical, and one I will never forget...

Great story, and I suspect the young lady probably still recalls it as
well. Quite possibly with crystal clarity.

I've had a few memorable dog stories of my own, including the morning
that I found an almost-fledged young jaybird that had fallen out of
it's nest onto our front porch. As I picked it up to return it to the
nest, our big male Greyhound -Reebok- came wandering up to see what
was going on.

Not thinking, I held the tiny bird down for his inspection and there
was a sudden blur, a crisp "SNAP!", and the sight of Reebok licking
his lips -thereby displacing one small blue feather that floated
slowly to the ground...

Obviously thinking "Hey! Free brunch!" he'd plucked it cleanly out of
my hand and swallowed it before I could so much as move.

Despite that, I still miss him.

~Pete

They are quick, aren't they?

And, hey, nature will have its way...