Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: FWD account login "My FWD", gone completely now?

Re: FWD account login "My FWD", gone completely now?

Graham.

"B. Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gravji$mvp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
> paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
> fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
> login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
> get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
>
> http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/...p?section_id=4
>
> Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
> actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
> getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
> than ever.

The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

In news:grb3g2$lo$(E-Mail Removed),
Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

: The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
: but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
: Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
: in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

Same here, that's all I use my FWD account for. Since Sipgate no longer
allow termination of FWD (although they said they'd re-enable it when I
asked them last year, they never did) I have tested FWD with my Gradwell
account and that works, although of course Gradwell isn't free.

Ivor

Soruk

On 2009-04-05, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "B. Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gravji$mvp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
>> paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
>> fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
>> login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
>> get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
>>
>> http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/...p?section_id=4
>>
>> Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
>> actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
>> getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
>> than ever.
>>

> The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
> but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
> Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
> in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
a MySipSwitch address might also work.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

Henkie Penkie

Soruk wrote:
> On 2009-04-05, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "B. Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gravji$mvp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
>>> paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
>>> fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
>>> login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
>>> get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
>>>
>>> http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/...p?section_id=4
>>>
>>> Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
>>> actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
>>> getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
>>> than ever.
>>>

>> The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
>> but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
>> Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
>> in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

> My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
> also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
> a MySipSwitch address might also work.

Why not point it directly at your dyndns address at home or your IP if
that isn's dynamic?
Works great.

Graham.

"Soruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 2009-04-05, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "B. Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gravji$mvp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
>>> paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
>>> fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
>>> login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
>>> get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
>>>
>>> http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/...p?section_id=4
>>>
>>> Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
>>> actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
>>> getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
>>> than ever.
>>>

>> The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
>> but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
>> Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
>> in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

> My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
> also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
> a MySipSwitch address might also work.

Ah thanks, looks like the received wisdom about ipkall only working
with FWD is wrong. I just tried pointing it to one of my pbxes.org
extensions and it worked. It also works pointed at the Betamax
uri that goes direct to my ATA http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
I'll try some other ideas later, and post a follow-up.

The way ipkall asks for a sip phone number, rather than a username
makes you think it has to be numerical, like FWD user names, but
they can be anything.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:grdcph$7o0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Soruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> On 2009-04-05, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> "B. Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gravji$mvp$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
>>> but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
>>> Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
>>> in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

>> My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
>> also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
>> a MySipSwitch address might also work.

> Ah thanks, looks like the received wisdom about ipkall only working
> with FWD is wrong. I just tried pointing it to one of my pbxes.org
> extensions and it worked. It also works pointed at the Betamax
> uri that goes direct to my ATA (E-Mail Removed)
> I'll try some other ideas later, and post a follow-up.
>
> The way ipkall asks for a sip phone number, rather than a username
> makes you think it has to be numerical, like FWD user names, but
> they can be anything.
> --

In addition, Orbtalk works with ipcall.com,
Tesco internet phone does not apear to work
Sipgate does not work, as we know.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: In news:grb3g2$lo$(E-Mail Removed),
: Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
:
: [snip]
:
: : The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
: : but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
: : Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
: : in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?
:
: Same here, that's all I use my FWD account for. Since Sipgate no
: longer allow termination of FWD (although they said they'd re-enable
: it when I asked them last year, they never did) I have tested FWD
: with my Gradwell account and that works, although of course Gradwell
: isn't free.
:
: Ivor

Well my FWD account stopped registering yesterday, so that's it.

Oh well.

Ivor

richard2@ntlworld.com

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:03:02 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
>unexplained reason:
>: In news:grb3g2$lo$(E-Mail Removed),
>: Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
>:
>: [snip]
>:
>: : The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
>: : but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
>: : Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
>: : in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?
>:
>: Same here, that's all I use my FWD account for. Since Sipgate no
>: longer allow termination of FWD (although they said they'd re-enable
>: it when I asked them last year, they never did) I have tested FWD
>: with my Gradwell account and that works, although of course Gradwell
>: isn't free.
>:
>: Ivor
>
>Well my FWD account stopped registering yesterday, so that's it.
>
>Oh well.
>

>Ivor

With the anytime calling plan from BT for 16.20 a month including
0845 and 0870 numbers also which is less than 55p a day why bother
with any VOIP provider .

Ivor Jones

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:

[snip]

: With the anytime calling plan from BT for 16.20 a month including
: 0845 and 0870 numbers also which is less than 55p a day why bother
: with any VOIP provider .

So why are you here, Ron..?

(Hint - free is less than 55p a day).

Ivor

Paulg0

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With the anytime calling plan from BT for 16.20 a month including
> 0845 and 0870 numbers also which is less than 55p a day why bother
> with any VOIP provider .

99% of my calls are made from my work provided mobile & my internet is
provided over cable via Virgin. VOIP is a convenient way of keeping a
landline number for people to call cheaply and to provide to companies that
require a "home" phone number

Paul