Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Best approach to bind data from XML to an asp:Table

Best approach to bind data from XML to an asp:Table

Greg Linwood

I am wondering what the best approach to binding XML data to an asp:Table
from the Page_Load event in a code behind module?

I'm using VB.Net and initially approached this by adding a table to the web
page from the VS2003 ASP page designer, extracting an XML document from SQL
Server during Page_Load, then adding asp:TableRows & asp:TableCells one at a
time / loading the corresponding xml values a cell at a time.

Is there a better (less code / maintenance) approach?

Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

bind it directly to a datagrid, it renders a table as its output
automatically.

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
<shameless_author_plug>
ISBN:1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms
ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition
ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP
ISBN: 1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development
ISBN: 1861002092
</shameless_author_plug>

"Greg Linwood" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:#jI0xu#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am wondering what the best approach to binding XML data to an asp:Table
> from the Page_Load event in a code behind module?
>
> I'm using VB.Net and initially approached this by adding a table to the

web
> page from the VS2003 ASP page designer, extracting an XML document from

SQL
> Server during Page_Load, then adding asp:TableRows & asp:TableCells one at

> time / loading the corresponding xml values a cell at a time.
>
> Is there a better (less code / maintenance) approach?
>
> Regards,
> Greg Linwood
> SQL Server MVP

Greg Linwood

I found an example of how to bind array data to a datagrid, but haven't seen
anything on how to bind XML directly to a datagrid.

Are there any examples you could point out for me that bind xml directly to
datagrid John?

Or do you have to have a function that iterates the xml & converts it to the
array for binding?

Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP

"John Timney (Microsoft MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eDl9C3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bind it directly to a datagrid, it renders a table as its output
> automatically.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
> <shameless_author_plug>
> Professional .NET for Java Developers with C#
> ISBN:1-861007-91-4
> Professional Windows Forms
> ISBN: 1861005547
> Professional JSP 2nd Edition
> ISBN: 1861004958
> Professional JSP
> ISBN: 1861003625
> Beginning JSP Web Development
> ISBN: 1861002092
> </shameless_author_plug>
>
> "Greg Linwood" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
> message news:#jI0xu#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am wondering what the best approach to binding XML data to an

asp:Table
> > from the Page_Load event in a code behind module?
> >
> > I'm using VB.Net and initially approached this by adding a table to the

> web
> > page from the VS2003 ASP page designer, extracting an XML document from

> SQL
> > Server during Page_Load, then adding asp:TableRows & asp:TableCells one

at
> > time / loading the corresponding xml values a cell at a time.
> >
> > Is there a better (less code / maintenance) approach?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Greg Linwood
> > SQL Server MVP

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

Greg,

See below

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
<shameless_author_plug>
ISBN:1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms
ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition
ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP
ISBN: 1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development
ISBN: 1861002092
</shameless_author_plug>

The XML file (test.xml)

<Elements>
<Links>
<Text>Wrox Press</Text>
<Link>http://www.wrox.com</Link>
</Links>
<Links>
<Text>Microsoft</Text>
<Link>http://www.microsoft.com</Link>
</Links>
<Links>
<Text>Amazon</Text>
<Link>http://www.amazon.com</Link>
</Links>
</Elements>

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.IO" %>

<script runat="server">

string SortExpression;

DataView getData(){

DataSet ds = new DataSet();
FileStream fs = new FileStream( Server.MapPath("test.xml"),
FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read );
StreamReader reader = new StreamReader( fs );
ds.ReadXml( reader );
fs.Close();

DataView dv = new DataView(ds.Tables[0] );
dv.Sort=SortExpression;
return dv;

}

void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{

ItemsGrid.DataSource=getData();
ItemsGrid.DataBind();

}

void Sort_Grid(object sender, DataGridSortCommandEventArgs e){

SortExpression = e.SortExpression.ToString();
ItemsGrid.DataSource = getData();
ItemsGrid.DataBind();
}

</script>

<form runat="server">

<h3>DataGrid Example</h3>

<b>Product List</b>

<aspataGrid id="ItemsGrid"
BorderColor="black"
BorderWidth="1"
CellPadding="3"
HeaderStyle-BackColor="#00aaaa"
AutoGenerateColumns="true"
AllowSorting="true"
OnSortCommand="Sort_Grid"
runat="server">

</aspataGrid>

</form>

"Greg Linwood" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:eUW$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I found an example of how to bind array data to a datagrid, but haven't

seen
> anything on how to bind XML directly to a datagrid.
>
> Are there any examples you could point out for me that bind xml directly

> datagrid John?
>
> Or do you have to have a function that iterates the xml & converts it to

the
> array for binding?
>
> Regards,
> Greg Linwood
> SQL Server MVP
>
> "John Timney (Microsoft MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eDl9C3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > bind it directly to a datagrid, it renders a table as its output
> > automatically.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
> > <shameless_author_plug>
> > Professional .NET for Java Developers with C#
> > ISBN:1-861007-91-4
> > Professional Windows Forms
> > ISBN: 1861005547
> > Professional JSP 2nd Edition
> > ISBN: 1861004958
> > Professional JSP
> > ISBN: 1861003625
> > Beginning JSP Web Development
> > ISBN: 1861002092
> > </shameless_author_plug>
> >
> > "Greg Linwood" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote

in
> > message news:#jI0xu#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am wondering what the best approach to binding XML data to an

> asp:Table
> > > from the Page_Load event in a code behind module?
> > >
> > > I'm using VB.Net and initially approached this by adding a table to

the
> > web
> > > page from the VS2003 ASP page designer, extracting an XML document

from
> > SQL
> > > Server during Page_Load, then adding asp:TableRows & asp:TableCells

one
> at
> > > time / loading the corresponding xml values a cell at a time.
> > >
> > > Is there a better (less code / maintenance) approach?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Greg Linwood
> > > SQL Server MVP

Greg Linwood