Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [RELEASED] Python 3.1 alpha 2

[RELEASED] Python 3.1 alpha 2

Benjamin Peterson

On behalf of the Python development team, I'm thrilled to announce the second
alpha release of Python 3.1.

Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of features and changes
Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C
for speed. Other features include an ordered dictionary implementation and
support for ttk Tile in Tkinter. For a more extensive list of changes in 3.1,
see http://doc.python.org/dev/py3k/whatsnew/3.1.html or Misc/NEWS in the Python
distribution.

Please note that this is an alpha releases, and as such is not suitable for
production environments. We continue to strive for a high degree of quality,
but there are still some known problems and the feature sets have not been
finalized. This alpha is being released to solicit feedback and hopefully
discover bugs, as well as allowing you to determine how changes in 3.1 might
impact you. If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report
at

http://bugs.python.org

For more information and downloadable distributions, see the Python 3.1 website:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/

See PEP 375 for release schedule details:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0375/

Regards,
-- Benjamin

Benjamin Peterson
benjamin at python.org
Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 3.1's contributors)