Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wired/Wireless connection

Wired/Wireless connection

Panjandrum

We want to make sure that when a user has a Wireless network device in
his PC/laptop and he connects to the Corporate Fixed Cabled network :
1. => The fixed network card is being used as default
2. => The Wireless device is disabled.

1. To make sure the fixed card is used we have put this card in the
network advanced settings as fist device to be accessed. However here
we encounter the problem that when a new network device is added, or
even plugged in to another slot, this new device seems to become by
default the first... So we are not sure that once we have set the fixed
device in the first place it stays the first...

2. We also want to avoid PC/Laptop of users to become themselves ad-hoc
access-points, which could mean they possibly become a bridge between
the official company network and the 'unsecure' wireless network. ( =
security issue ). Therefor we want to have a possibility to disable all
wireless devices in the PC/Laptop once the PC/Laptop is connected to
the fixed network.

Microsoft seems to have some kind of solution for this by checking the
assigned domain name. Also this is no solution since we (for reasons of
applications running and for some other reasons) always put the domain
extension fixed into the network settings. It is hard for me to believe
that there are no registry entries of whatever which just could do the
two above mentioned jobs.

Any clue?