Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Trouble Downloading Mail

Trouble Downloading Mail

Cookie Cutter

My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.

She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
Then the next day it will be the same problem.

Any suggestions to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Lana

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Cookie Cutter wrote:

> My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.

1 Gigabyte?

> She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
> number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
> get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
> read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
> Then the next day it will be the same problem.

Most likely either a mail server problem or the connection. Has she
phoned the ISP yet?

Have you tested her (unmentioned) connection? Dialup/DSL/cable? Done a
speed test when the problem occurs?

Oh, clean out Inbox of old stuff and compact folders.

--
-bts

VanguardLH

Cookie Cutter wrote:

> My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
>
> She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
> number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
> get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
> read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
> Then the next day it will be the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Lana

Yet had her temporarily disable the anti-virus program to see if the
problem goes away? E-mail scanning is superfluous but it causes delay
during interrogation that leads to timeouts and retries.

Cookie Cutter

VanguardLH wrote:
> Cookie Cutter wrote:
>
>> My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
>>
>> She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
>> number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
>> get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
>> read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
>> Then the next day it will be the same problem.
>>
>> Any suggestions to solve this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lana

> Yet had her temporarily disable the anti-virus program to see if the
> problem goes away? E-mail scanning is superfluous but it causes delay
> during interrogation that leads to timeouts and retries.

Thank you, I will give that a try. I had made sure that the firewall
was not blocking downloads, but it didn't help. I will see if it is the
anti-virus.

wisdomkiller & pain

Cookie Cutter wrote:

> My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
>
> She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
> number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
> get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
> read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
> Then the next day it will be the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions to solve this problem?

Make a link for her to access the mail directly via web from the ISPs or
mail provider's server. Almost every ISP has that, it's a interface just
like hotmail or yahoo mail. She just needs to logon and can read/delete
junk with huge attachments online so it won't get downloaded to the
thunderbird next time.

hwf

Cookie Cutter wrote:
> My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
>
> She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
> number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
> get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
> read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
> Then the next day it will be the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Lana

Learn how to just download headers instead of the typical headers *and*
bodies method.
Here:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_o...n_POP_messages

HTH

--