Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Cannot find text in *.py files with Windows Explorer?

Re: Cannot find text in *.py files with Windows Explorer?

Dave Angel

John Doe wrote:
> Tim Golden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Now I think about it, try searching for "xplorer2" since I think I
>> mentioned that I have used that instead of explorer for some while.

> Yeah... at least by the time I move from Windows XP to Windows 7, very
> likely I will be using a different file manager. If I cannot
> search Python files, now might be a good time to switch. Thanks for
> the search criteria, I will look for that thread.

The original thread is at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tut...ry/066765.html

and the product xplorer2 is at http://zabkat.com/
Std version is $30, but there's a free version also.

John Doe

Dave Angel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

>> ...at least by the time I move from Windows XP to Windows 7,
>> very likely I will be using a different file manager. If I cannot
>> search Python files, now might be a good time to switch.

> and the product xplorer2 is at http://zabkat.com/
> Std version is $30, but there's a free version also.

The free version uses Windows Explorer search, therefore it will not
find text in *.py files. Same with Ultra Explorer.

Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python files.

John Doe

John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python files.

However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.

Terry Reedy

John Doe wrote:
> John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python files.

> However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.

Undo is an editor function. I do not believe Windows Explore has Undo
either.

John Doe

Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python
>>> files.

>> However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.

> Undo is an editor function. I do not believe Windows Explore has
> Undo either.

Besides Undo... editing functions like copy, paste, and move are all
included in a file manager. You might not need that (Undo) safety
feature... then again, some users think they do not need to keep a
removable media backup copy of important files from their hard drive
either.

Undo and other editing functions are part of a file manager. And Yes,
Windows Explorer does include Undo. A file manager is too powerful to
be without Undo, unless maybe it prompts the user every time
files/folders are moved or deleted.

Many have complained, but for some reason the author of FreeCommander
does not care about that.

--
Interested in making Windows and games obey your verbal commands?
Continuous command recognition (much easier than speech recognition)

Terry Reedy

John Doe wrote:
> Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.

>> Undo is an editor function. I do not believe Windows Explore has
>> Undo either.

> Besides Undo... editing functions like copy, paste, and move are all
> included in a file manager. You might not need that (Undo) safety
> feature... then again, some users think they do not need to keep a
> removable media backup copy of important files from their hard drive
> either.
>
> Undo and other editing functions are part of a file manager. And Yes,
> Windows Explorer does include Undo.

I learn something new. In my WinXP, I found that Explorer has 'Undo
Move' (good to learn actually, for when I drop a file in the wrong
place), which also undoes normal delete (move to Recycle Bin) and which
even 'undoes' copy by offering to move copy to recycle bin.

A file manager is too powerful to
> be without Undo, unless maybe it prompts the user every time
> files/folders are moved or deleted.

Explorer prompts both for Recycle-move and perma-delete.

> Many have complained, but for some reason the author of FreeCommander
> does not care about that.

So I agree, better to reconfigure Windows search to look in .py files.

John Doe

Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

>> Windows Explorer does include Undo.

> I learn something new. In my WinXP, I found that Explorer has 'Undo
> Move' (good to learn actually, for when I drop a file in the wrong
> place),

Yup!

FWIW...
I enable the Windows Explorer status bar here.
Then, doing
File -- Undo (without clicking)
and hovering the pointer over "Undo" shows on the status bar the last
undoable action, if any. That allows me to see what files were involved
and where the files went.