Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection says excellent but not working

Wireless connection says excellent but not working

sally

Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop and have a home network which uses a wireless
router. My wireless laptop says internet connection excellent; however, when
I log on to internet explorer the page cannot be displayed, and I can't get
on the internet. Any help to be appreciated.

David B.

What changed on your laptop between when it was working and now? Your
problem could be caused by a bad configuration, wireless driver, malware, or
any number of other issues.

"sally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop and have a home network which uses a wireless
> router. My wireless laptop says internet connection excellent; however,
> when
> I log on to internet explorer the page cannot be displayed, and I can't
> get
> on the internet. Any help to be appreciated.

Chuck [MVP]

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:00:02 -0700, sally <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop and have a home network which uses a wireless
>router. My wireless laptop says internet connection excellent; however, when
>I log on to internet explorer the page cannot be displayed, and I can't get
>on the internet. Any help to be appreciated.

Your wireless laptop says "Signal strength excellent". That doesn't say that
you have Internet connectivity. Look at some details, please.

* Is this your WiFi access point?
* Are there any signal interference sources inside your home?
* Is your WiFi security setup properly?
* Is your selected WiFi channel available?
* Have you run a WiFi environment survey?
* Have you tried using Ethernet?

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2009...ires-more.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]

Jack-MVP

Hi
First make sure that indeed your computer is connected to the Router. Best
way to do this is to try to get into the Router's menus through the Browser
(read the Router's manual).
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"sally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop and have a home network which uses a wireless
> router. My wireless laptop says internet connection excellent; however,
> when
> I log on to internet explorer the page cannot be displayed, and I can't
> get
> on the internet. Any help to be appreciated.

smlunatick

On Apr 3, 5:42*am, "Tom E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop and have a home network which uses a wireless
> > router. *My wireless laptop says internet connection excellent; however,
> > when
> > I log on to internet explorer the page cannot be displayed, and I can't
> > get
> > on the internet. *Any help to be appreciated.

> Q1. have you ever been able to on this comp.

This "icon" will tend to display the wireless signal strength only.
It will not tell anything about he Internet access.

I have encountered this style of problem before. You will need to
look at any "enhanced" firewall software and tell this to "trust" the
wireless network SSID. If not, the software will "deauthenticate" the
network (aka turn off the network access.)

sally

Well, I did install one of those free SuperAnti Spyware removers on my laptop
because I did have a virus.