Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Secure erase only empty space

Secure erase only empty space

pimpom

I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe
clean *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason
for wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
avoid bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
next 'wipe'.

Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
and downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
either in my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of
such a utility? TIA.

Ricky Bobby

"pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gr2ogj$ghi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe clean
>*only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for wanting such
>a utility is not security or privacy, but to avoid bringing up a lot of
>clutter in case I ever need to recover accidentally deleted data, after
>deletion but before doing the next 'wipe'.
>
> Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found and
> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now, either in my
> hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a utility? TIA.

Just a wild guess...but do you think maybe entering "wipe disk free space"
in a search engine-- say, Google--- might offer any help here, do ya' huh?

meerkat

"pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gr2ogj$ghi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe clean
>*only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for wanting
>such a utility is not security or privacy, but to avoid bringing up a
>lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover accidentally deleted
>data, after deletion but before doing the next 'wipe'.
>
> Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found and
> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now, either in
> my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a utility?
> TIA.

Get Eraser here.
http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

It``l do what you want.

bw..

Aardvark

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:17:19 +0100, meerkat wrote:

> It``l

A very novel and interesting way of spelling that contraction, mate.

BTW I assume you've checked out www.comparethemeerkat.com already?

pimpom

meerkat wrote:
> "pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gr2ogj$ghi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely
>> wipe clean
>> *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for
>> wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
>> avoid
>> bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
>> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
>> next
>> 'wipe'. Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I
>> once found and
>> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
>> either in
>> my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a
>> utility?
>> TIA.

> Get Eraser here.
> http://www.heidi.ie/node/6
>
> It``l do what you want.

Thanks. I think Eraser is actually the one I found before, though
there are others. Funny though, I still can't find the one I
downloaded earlier on my hard disk.

pimpom

Ricky Bobby wrote:
> "pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gr2ogj$ghi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely
>> wipe clean
>> *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for
>> wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
>> avoid
>> bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
>> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
>> next
>> 'wipe'. Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I
>> once found and
>> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
>> either in
>> my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a
>> utility?
>> TIA.

> Just a wild guess...but do you think maybe entering "wipe disk
> free
> space" in a search engine-- say, Google--- might offer any help
> here,
> do ya' huh?

Ok, maybe I deserved that bit of sarcasm. But I suspect that most
people have those days when they had a mental block that
prevented them from coming up with the right search parameters.
Or they may simply have little experience with computers and
search engines. When I reply to such queries, I usually do the
search first and suggest some likely candidates - just as another
poster has already done to my question.

John Wunderlich

"pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gr2ogj$ghi$(E-Mail Removed):

> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe
> clean *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason
> for wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
> avoid bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
> next 'wipe'.
>
> Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
> and downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
> either in my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of
> such a utility? TIA.

"Eraser" will do that.
(R-Click on drive and select "Erase Unused Space").

<http://eraser.heidi.ie/>

HTH,
John

pimpom

John Wunderlich wrote:
> "pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gr2ogj$ghi$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely
>> wipe
>> clean *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My
>> reason
>> for wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to
>> avoid bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to
>> recover
>> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the
>> next 'wipe'.
>>
>> Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
>> and downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now,
>> either in my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of
>> such a utility? TIA.
>>

> "Eraser" will do that.
> (R-Click on drive and select "Erase Unused Space").
>
> <http://eraser.heidi.ie/>
>
> HTH,
> John

Thanks. Just finished downloading it.

Ricky Bobby

"pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gr322g$s3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ricky Bobby wrote:
>> "pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gr2ogj$ghi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I always thought it would be nice to be able to completely wipe clean
>>> *only* the free spaces of a hard disk partition. My reason for
>>> wanting such a utility is not security or privacy, but to avoid
>>> bringing up a lot of clutter in case I ever need to recover
>>> accidentally deleted data, after deletion but before doing the next
>>> 'wipe'. Unless my memory's playing tricks on me, I'm sure I once found
>>> and
>>> downloaded just such a free tool. But I can't find it now, either in
>>> my hard disk or on the internet. Does anyone know of such a utility?
>>> TIA.

>> Just a wild guess...but do you think maybe entering "wipe disk free
>> space" in a search engine-- say, Google--- might offer any help here,
>> do ya' huh?

> Ok, maybe I deserved that bit of sarcasm. But I suspect that most people
> have those days when they had a mental block that prevented them from
> coming up with the right search parameters. Or they may simply have little
> experience with computers and search engines. When I reply to such
> queries, I usually do the search first and suggest some likely
> candidates - just as another poster has already done to my question.

You certainly do want to be spoon-fed, my passive, helpless friend

I bet mommie still cuts your meat for you and wipes your ass after you
poop....

meerkat

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3S7Bl.285821$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:17:19 +0100, meerkat wrote:
>
>> It``l

> A very novel and interesting way of spelling that contraction, mate.
>

> BTW I assume you've checked out www.comparethemeerkat.com already?

Bit of a case of...fingers working faster than brain %> ).
First time I`ve been to `compare the meerkats`, but I hate filling
things in.

bw.. as always.
meerkat.