Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP WiFi standalone handset

VOIP WiFi standalone handset

Alasdair

I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?

--
Alasdair.

Steve Hammond

On 2 Apr, 11:13, Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. *It works
> very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
> as it connects directly to my wireless router. *This unit seems to be
> Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
> other VOIP providers. *Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

How about the e51 with Fring.com installed not tried it myself

Steve Hammond

On 2 Apr, 11:13, Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. *It works
> very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
> as it connects directly to my wireless router. *This unit seems to be
> Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
> other VOIP providers. *Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

Sorry the Nokia E51

Henkie Penkie

Alasdair wrote:
> I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
> very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
> as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
> Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
> other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

have a linksys WIP 330 that does that.
Sipgate.co.uk are selling the starcom. And you could also buy a mobile
phone with fring on it. I am using the Nokia E61

Graham.

"Alasdair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
> very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
> as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
> Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
> other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

There is an alternative to a wi-fi VoIP phone that you may not have
thought about, this is an analogue telephone adapter (ATA).
It's a box that plugs into your router and you plug your existing
phone or DECT base-station into the ATA.

Look for those that support the SIP protocol examples are
AVM "Fritz! box" range
Sipura
Linksys
Do you know which VoIP provider(s) you want to use?
Do you need incoming calls on a geographic number?
Do you want to use the same handset for calls to/from the PSTN?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ian Pawson

Alasdair wrote:
> I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
> very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
> as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
> Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
> other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

Try a Gigaset C475IP DECT phone. Plugs into the router and handles both
voip and fixed lines calls.

TheFug@domain.invalid

Ian Pawson schreef:
> Alasdair wrote:
>> I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
>> very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
>> as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
>> Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
>> other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?
>>
>> --
>> Alasdair.

> Try a Gigaset C475IP DECT phone. Plugs into the router and handles both
> voip and fixed lines calls.

Does this model has a pass through ethernet option ? or just one
ethernet port ?

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Paul Hayes

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:
> Ian Pawson schreef:
>> Alasdair wrote:
>>> I recently bought a Skype handset (made by Belkin) on Ebay. It works
>>> very well and I don't need to have my computer switched on to use it
>>> as it connects directly to my wireless router. This unit seems to be
>>> Skype specific but I would like a similar unit which would work with
>>> other VOIP providers. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alasdair.

>> Try a Gigaset C475IP DECT phone. Plugs into the router and handles both
>> voip and fixed lines calls.

> Does this model has a pass through ethernet option ? or just one
> ethernet port ?

Just one ethernet port.