Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "Starter Edition" for Servers

"Starter Edition" for Servers

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Do you think many people will go for this
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2414>?

Myself, I'd say, why pay good money for something with built-in arbitrary
limits, when you can get a Linux system for free, with no such limits?

Gordon

On 2009-04-02, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> Do you think many people will go for this
><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2414>?

Look at the other things people go for, and pay good money for.

> Myself, I'd say, why pay good money for something with built-in arbitrary
> limits, when you can get a Linux system for free, with no such limits?

Yes, but you are not the average pleb.

The interesting point is that MS is offering horses for courses. Not one
size fits all.

Ms Windows needs to appear on Home servers, sorry I'll rephase that. The
home server market is about to grow up and get big. Ms Windows needs to be
on those servers, for Ms windows to have plenty of spending money.

People are not going to pay a over the top sum for the software to run on
it. Thus it is a case of what the market will bear. No as much as it used
to.

Ms Windows Home server has received good reviews. Price is the clincher for
the buyer.

Having said that where the heck does this "netbook" server fit in? Marketing
hype is leading at the moment by a GB or so.