Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Recording vinyl and can't hear music

Re: Recording vinyl and can't hear music

Mango

Possibly the turntable is muted from within Volume Control. To access this, select Accessories from the Start menu, then select
Multimedia, then select Volume Control.

You may need to select Properties from the Options menu to be sure that the volume control you're after is not hidden. Additionally,
you may need to select a different mixer device.

Good luck
m.

> I bought a Memorex turntable which is connected to my computer (Windows XP Pro)
> by a USB cable. I've tried two programs to record from the turntable, Goldwave
> and Audacity. The music is being recorded, as I can see the wave form
> graphically, then when I stop the recording and play it back, I can hear it in
> my headphones. My problem is I can't hear the music while I'm doing the
> recording. Anyone familiar with this type of setup or these two programs and can
> tell me how to listen to the music as it's being recorded? In the past, I had an
> older turntable hooled up by RCA cables, through a pre-amp and into the sound
> card (Creative Labs PCI512) and I could listen to the music as it recorded.
> Could the priblem be the USB connection? Thanks.

chuckcar

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:12:06 -0700, Mango <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Possibly the turntable is muted from within Volume Control. To access
>>this, select Accessories from the Start menu, then select Multimedia,
>>then select Volume Control.
>>
>>You may need to select Properties from the Options menu to be sure that
>>the volume control you're after is not hidden. Additionally, you may
>>need to select a different mixer device.
>>
>>Good luck
>>m.
>>

> Thanks. One of the first things I did was to check on any inputs being
> muted and they weren't. And the input volume seems fine since when I
> play the sounds back the volume is where I want it.

The easiest way to tell if there's *any* signal coming through is based on
that you get VU bars appearing beside the volume slider if there's a signal.
If you raise the slider all the way up and you don't, well it's either muted
or you're getting no signal through that channel.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 02:58:56 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The easiest way to tell if there's *any* signal coming through is based on
>that you get VU bars appearing beside the volume slider if there's a signal.

Wow.

Read much chucktard?

From the OP:

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:00:15 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Yes, I can see the VU bars and there is sound coming in.

Yes, you said that in your original post. Feel free to ignore
chuctard, he's completely useless.

chuckcar

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 02:58:56 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> Thanks. One of the first things I did was to check on any inputs being
>>> muted and they weren't. And the input volume seems fine since when I
>>> play the sounds back the volume is where I want it.
>>>

>>The easiest way to tell if there's *any* signal coming through is based
>>on that you get VU bars appearing beside the volume slider if there's a
>>signal. If you raise the slider all the way up and you don't, well it's
>>either muted or you're getting no signal through that channel.

> Yes, I can see the VU bars and there is sound coming in. And it's being
> recorded as I can play it back. I just can't hear it during the
> recording process. I found a fix for the Audacity program, there was a
> box unchecked. But I'd like to get Goldwave working so I can hear the
> recording as it's being made, as this is my program of choice for these
> things.

If you don't get any VU bars with the wave or synthesizer channels, it
just isn't fed to your speakers period. You'll have to trace *where* the
sound is coming through to get anywhere.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:00:29 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If you don't get any VU bars with the wave or synthesizer channels, it
>just isn't fed to your speakers period. You'll have to trace *where* the
>sound is coming through to get anywhere.

"Yes, I can see the VU bars".

Are you that stupid??

OP: Feel free to ignore chucktard. He's ... useless, to say the least.

Evan Platt

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:40:56 -0700, 攸hw不f <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Feel free to hump his poast EXACTLY two minutes after he's poasted.

Yeah. Because chucktard's clock is accurate.

Thanks for playing.
*plonk*

攸hw不f

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:00:29 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> If you don't get any VU bars with the wave or synthesizer channels, it
>> just isn't fed to your speakers period. You'll have to trace *where* the
>> sound is coming through to get anywhere.

> "Yes, I can see the VU bars".
>
> Are you that stupid??

Your Chuck-addiction is noted, mocked and xpoasted to an appropo froup.

> OP: Feel free to ignore chucktard. He's ... useless, to say the least.

Feel free to hump his poast EXACTLY two minutes after he's poasted.

YEah, no Chuck-0bs3sS10n there Ebby

ROTFLMAO!

--
http://www.eyeonpalin.org
________ ______ _____________

攸hw不f

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 02:58:56 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> The easiest way to tell if there's *any* signal coming through is based on
>> that you get VU bars appearing beside the volume slider if there's a signal.

> Wow.

Yeah, you're one dedicated Chuck-addict

> Read much chucktard?

Hump his poasts much, Ebby?

You must have been slacking since you responded a whole 13 minutes after
Chuck poasted.
Waitaminute...did I say slacking? I ment whacking.

^_^

--
http://www.eyeonpalin.org
________ ______ _____________

Ben

On Apr 2, 5:05*pm, Evan Platt <e...@*******************************>
wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:40:56 -0700, 攸hw不f <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Feel free to hump his poast EXACTLY two minutes after he's poasted.

> Yeah. Because chucktard's clock is accurate.
>
> Thanks for playing.
> *plonk*

I have an ION turntable and had the same problem. In XP go to start,
control panel, sound and audio devices and make sure you have the
right audio card listed, and under the audio tab make sure that it is
not set to "USB audio codex" if it is change it to another option.
This worked with mine.