Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The April 1st Worm?

The April 1st Worm?

JohnO

So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

steve

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:

> So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

( Like your timezone?? )

There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.

It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
anything else?).

This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

My $0.02,

Steve

Chris Lim

On Apr 2, 11:34*am, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
> > So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

> ( Like your timezone?? )
>
> There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
> Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
> and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
>
> It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
> all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
> there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
> anything else?).
>
> This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

It's a pity there wasn't *some* effect (both with Y2K and Conficker)
so that it didn't seem like a false alarm to the general public. Now
any future warnings like this will probably be taken with a grain of
salt and ignored, and then something bad really will happen.

Gordon

On 2009-04-01, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
>
>> So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

> ( Like your timezone?? )
>
> There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
> Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
> and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
>
> It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
> all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
> there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
> anything else?).
>
> This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

Indeed.

Look, at 6am on 911 did the US of A have any idea what was about to happen?

Attacks blindsided one when one leasts expects them. I mean as President of
the US of A in August 1945 do you announce to Japan that some matter will be
destroyed above one of their cities.

Did the Japanesee announce that they were out to bomb Pearl Harbour.

Media feeeding frenzy, rely on it, for it exists still.

Gordon

On 2009-04-02, Chris Lim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 11:34*am, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
>> > So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

>> ( Like your timezone?? )
>>
>> There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
>> Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
>> and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
>>
>> It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
>> all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
>> there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
>> anything else?).
>>
>> This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

> It's a pity there wasn't *some* effect (both with Y2K and Conficker)
> so that it didn't seem like a false alarm to the general public.

Free Agent was affected. Nothing major, only bug status. See there was some
affect?

Jack Spratt

"Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Apr 2, 11:34 am, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
> > So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

> ( Like your timezone?? )
>
> There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
> Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
> and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
>
> It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
> all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
> there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
> anything else?).
>
> This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

It's a pity there wasn't *some* effect (both with Y2K and Conficker)
so that it didn't seem like a false alarm to the general public. Now
any future warnings like this will probably be taken with a grain of
salt and ignored, and then something bad really will happen.

----

So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
the future?

--
Jack Spratt

Chris Lim

On Apr 2, 8:57*pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
wrote:
> So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
> the future?

More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.

wrote:
> So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
> the future?

More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.

---
Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a greater
awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

--
Jack Spratt

Chris Lim

On Apr 2, 9:05*pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 2, 8:57 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
> > the future?
> >

> More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
> something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
> make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
>
> ---
> Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a greater
> awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

Dunno, it might, or it might just have been luck. I often come across
people who think the Y2K bug was just a big scare over nothing (even
though you try and explain that the reason nothing major happened is
because of all the work done). I have a feeling the Conficker virus
will be seen in the same way and sooner or later people will treat IT
warnings a bit like doomsday cults where the End of the World is
constantly predicted but never happens. So a little scare might be
useful to let people know that it is real.

wrote:
> "Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 2, 8:57 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening
> > in
> > the future?
> >

> More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
> something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
> make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
>
> ---
> Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a greater
> awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

Dunno, it might, or it might just have been luck. I often come across
people who think the Y2K bug was just a big scare over nothing (even
though you try and explain that the reason nothing major happened is
because of all the work done). I have a feeling the Conficker virus
will be seen in the same way and sooner or later people will treat IT
warnings a bit like doomsday cults where the End of the World is
constantly predicted but never happens. So a little scare might be
useful to let people know that it is real.

----
Same people might benefit from a near miss at an intersection lest they
forget the dangers of not looking both ways