Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The April 1st Worm?

The April 1st Worm?

Mike Dee

"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

> "Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).
> com... On Apr 2, 9:05 pm, "Jack Spratt"

>> More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
>> something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor
>> to make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
>>
>> Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a
>> greater awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
usenet)

> Dunno, it might, or it might just have been luck. I often come
> across people who think the Y2K bug was just a big scare over
> nothing (even though you try and explain that the reason nothing
> major happened is because of all the work done). I have a feeling
> the Conficker virus will be seen in the same way and sooner or
> later people will treat IT warnings a bit like doomsday cults
> where the End of the World is constantly predicted but never
> happens. So a little scare might be useful to let people know that
> it is real.

I think mainstream media has forgotten about it already. April 01[i]
was about the only thing it going for it for getting such attention
in the first place.

[i] That this "threat" was recognised as being hype beforehand,
even respected IT media outlets such as PCWorld was saying as much
upfront.

Read: <http://www.pcworld.com/article/162102/april_fools_conficker_threat_is_likely_hype.html>

or simply google "conficker hype".

Anyway, I also think that this "event" is typical of
mainstream media fodder/filler material.

--
dee

Jack Spratt

"Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed).
>> com... On Apr 2, 9:05 pm, "Jack Spratt"

>>> More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
>>> something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor
>>> to make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
>>>
>>> Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a
>>> greater awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

> I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
> place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
> usenet)

A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

Mike Dee

Jack Spratt wrote:

>> I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only place
>> I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and usenet)

> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

Citations, please.

--
dee

Your Name

"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gr4qut$tud$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed).
> >> com... On Apr 2, 9:05 pm, "Jack Spratt"

> > I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
> > place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
> > usenet)

> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

And probably 15 billion people suckered into buying new / updated anti-virus
software ... and guess where the supposed warnings came from ... yep, the
anti-virus software makers, what a non-surprise.

Jack Spratt

"Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) id...
> Jack Spratt wrote:
>
>>> I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only place
>>> I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and usenet)

>> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

> Citations, please.
>
> --
> dee

http://www.uslaw.com/library/Interna...hp?item=359345

Jack Spratt

"Your Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gr63dv$j4e$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gr4qut$tud$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> > I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
>> > place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
>> > usenet)

>> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

> And probably 15 billion people suckered into buying new / updated
> anti-virus
> software ... and guess where the supposed warnings came from ... yep, the
> anti-virus software makers, what a non-surprise.

Do you need to buy more "stuff" or just keep what you (should) have updated?

Mike Dee

>>> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

>> Citations, please.

Page last updated at 15:38 GMT, Monday, 16 March 2009. Hmmm... was
that near the beginning of this gigantic media beat-up?

> http://www.uslaw.com/library/Interna...hp?item=359345

Nope, this one was even earlier, with links to: "Full post as
published by prisonlawinsideout on January 25."

How about somthing more up-to-date:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/world/europe/02iht-joke.html?ref=global-home>

"In Britain, April Fools' Joke Is on Us
Published: April 1, 2009

As April Fools' Day came and went, the dreaded Conficker virus -
which, according to some computer experts was going to infect
millions of computers around the world, initiate ferocious spam
attacks and generally end human civilization - was looking like a
bit of a dud."

About sums it up for me.

For further non-event stories, see:
<http://news.google.com/news?um=1&ned=us&hl=en&num=20&q=conficker+april+01 &cf=all&start=20>

--
dee

Your Name

"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gr6h4j$urj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Your Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gr63dv$j4e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:gr4qut$tud$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

> > And probably 15 billion people suckered into buying new / updated
> > anti-virus
> > software ... and guess where the supposed warnings came from ... yep,

the
> > anti-virus software makers, what a non-surprise.

> Do you need to buy more "stuff" or just keep what you (should) have

updated?

What people should do is buy a Mac and get away from all the silly "malware"
problems completely. :-p