Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to get US TV in Europe?

How to get US TV in Europe?

Scribner

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:04:05 +0100, "nut"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>> two years. His TV choices appear to be either local TV or Armed
>> Forces TV. I got the brilliant idea of watching TV via Hulu but he
>> was told that due to licensing restrictions you can't watch Hulu and
>> the networks outside of the US. He had some weird idea using a
>> slingbox tied into a router and DVR in the US sending him TV over the
>> Internet, but it was really complicated. So, does anyone have a
>> better idea? Thanks.

>http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28
>
>BBC recently released their iPlayer which allows you to watch many of the
>BBC shows on the web. Unfortunately for us, BBC does not allow users outside
>the UK to watch these shows. Luckily there's a way around this. There are
>many sites recommending different software to use, but having tried many
>ways, this is the one I've found that works using Windows and Firefox:
>(note, you can also use instructions below to watch other content blocked
>from viewing within the US, or even to watch content only allowed in the US
>when you are abroad)
>

>Step 1: Download and install the latest stable release of Tor using the
>default options. You can uncheck Privoxy in the install if you like. We will
>be using another proxy tool. (Tor is a tool that allows you to browse the
>web anonymously by routing your requests through various servers/proxies)
>
>Step 2: We now need to ensure that the last server your request is routed
>through is a server in the UK. Go to https://torstat.xenobite.eu/. Click on
>the pulldown next to "CC:" and select "GB" and hit "search". Now click on
>the ">" under "Exit". You now have a list of servers in the UK that are
>allowed to be used as Exit Servers. Take note of all the nicknames of the
>servers except those marked Unnamed.
>
>Step 3: Go to Start Menu and open All Programs -> Vidalia Bundle -> Tor ->
>torcc. This will open the Tor config file. Scroll all the way to the bottom
>and enter the following lines:
>StrictExitNodes 1
>exitnodes <list of the names you found in step 2 separated by commas>
>An example of the second line above would be:
>exitnodes anonion,anotherlink,colinwillsdorkyahoo
>Save the file and exit notepad.
>
>Step 4: Run Vidalia. After a few seconds, it should say "Connected to the
>Tor Network".
>
>Step 5: Install the Foxy Proxy addon for Firefox.
>
>Step 6: When you install Foxy Proxy, it'll ask you if you want to add a Tor
>proxy to it's settings. You'll want to set up the Tor Proxy to have the
>following 2 patterns: BBC iPlayer pattern - http://*bbc.co.uk/* and Tor
>Check pattern - http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/*
>
>Step 7: Check that you're exiting through a UK server by going to
>http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/index.php
>
>There you go - now, when you have Vidalia and Foxy Proxy running, whenever
>you go to the iPlayer site, you'll be able to watch videos. Note, that you'll
>probably have to repeat step 2 and step 3 intermittently, as the same UK

This is very useful. Thanks.

nut

Van Chocstraw wrote:
> Scribner wrote:
>> A friend is going to be assigned to the US Embassy in the Ukraine for
>> two years. His TV choices appear to be either local TV or Armed
>> Forces TV. I got the brilliant idea of watching TV via Hulu but he
>> was told that due to licensing restrictions you can't watch Hulu and
>> the networks outside of the US. He had some weird idea using a
>> slingbox tied into a router and DVR in the US sending him TV over the
>> Internet, but it was really complicated. So, does anyone have a
>> better idea? Thanks.

> Lots of Web TV and Internet TV programs.

Indeed there is - there's also ipods, dvds and guitar hero - but that's not
what the OP asked.

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>exitnodes anonion,anotherlink,colinwillsdorkyahoo
>Save the file and exit notepad.
>
>Step 4: Run Vidalia. After a few seconds, it should say "Connected to the
>Tor Network".
>
>Step 5: Install the Foxy Proxy addon for Firefox.
>
>Step 6: When you install Foxy Proxy, it'll ask you if you want to add a Tor
>proxy to it's settings. You'll want to set up the Tor Proxy to have the
>following 2 patterns: BBC iPlayer pattern - http://*bbc.co.uk/* and Tor
>Check pattern - http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/*
>
>Step 7: Check that you're exiting through a UK server by going to
>http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/index.php
>
>There you go - now, when you have Vidalia and Foxy Proxy running, whenever
>you go to the iPlayer site, you'll be able to watch videos. Note, that you'll
>probably have to repeat step 2 and step 3 intermittently, as the same UK

Or, install OperaTor and follow these steps:

1. Install OperaTor
2. The End

http://archetwist.com/opera/operator

Much as with web standards, speed, and built in functionality without
the use of 20 or 30 plugins being required, Opera always just makes it
easier.

http://www.opera.com/browser/

foxsimon foxsimon is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribner
A friend is going to be assigned to the US Embassy in the Ukraine for
two years. His TV choices appear to be either local TV or Armed
Forces TV. I got the brilliant idea of watching TV via Hulu but he
was told that due to licensing restrictions you can't watch Hulu and
the networks outside of the US. He had some weird idea using a
slingbox tied into a router and DVR in the US sending him TV over the
Internet, but it was really complicated. So, does anyone have a
better idea? Thanks.
These guys provide a full live US cable TV service subscription available online anywhere outside the US. It's also totally legal and the picture quality is great!

watchustvoverseas.com

priv8 priv8 is offline
Junior Member

The only way to do it legally and with decent quality seems to be A2btv.eu

US TV Subscription, hosted slingbox that you can access on PC, connect to you TV. There are also apps for mobile/iphone to watch and control on the move

priv8 priv8 is offline
Junior Member

I think the best way to watch US TV in europe or anywhere is:

mytv2me.com - US TV online

starwarsfan15 starwarsfan15 is offline
Junior Member

Just curious what are you guys trying to watch?

ustvnow ustvnow is offline
Junior Member

USTVNOW http://www.ustvnow.com offers free online access to ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, and PBS to all US citizens and residents anywhere around the world. DVR and additional channels are also available to paying users.