Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco VPN Client - client-LAN access for headquarter

Cisco VPN Client - client-LAN access for headquarter

mgummert

Hello everybody,

I understand that the VPN Client┤s "local LAN access" feature enables
the Client to also access ressources in it┤s own LAN - which works
fine in my setup. Having the feature activated I can see my local LAN
routes and the secured routes in the VPN Client statistics.

My question is:

How is it possible for a computer in the headquarter behind the VPN
Concentrator (which is a Cisco router) to access the resources (e.g.
printer) in the client-LAN?

Right now I can only ping the client computer┤s tunnel-IP-address, but
not the address of the client┤s LAN-NIC or the printer.

I played with static routes on my VPN concentrator, but could not
achieve the access to the client▀s LAN from a computer in my
headquarter.

Is that possible at all with the Cisco VPN client?

Thank you for any hint.

Mathias

mgummert

Maybe I should add, that I activated routing on the Windows XP client
PC (\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Serv ices\Tcpip
\Parameters\IPEnableRouter=1).

It doesn┤t help yet...

Mathias

Uli Link

mgummert schrieb:
> I understand that the VPN Client┤s "local LAN access" feature enables
> the Client to also access ressources in it┤s own LAN - which works
> fine in my setup. Having the feature activated I can see my local LAN
> routes and the secured routes in the VPN Client statistics.
>
> My question is:
>
> How is it possible for a computer in the headquarter behind the VPN
> Concentrator (which is a Cisco router) to access the resources (e.g.
> printer) in the client-LAN?

LPD/LPR sharing of the printer on the client?

> Right now I can only ping the client computer┤s tunnel-IP-address, but
> not the address of the client┤s LAN-NIC or the printer.

That's expected.

> I played with static routes on my VPN concentrator, but could not
> achieve the access to the client▀s LAN from a computer in my
> headquarter.
>
> Is that possible at all with the Cisco VPN client?

No.
You can use a small Cisco IOS router setup in network extension mode as
VPN client.

--
ULi