Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7 Starter Edition Limitations

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 7 Starter Edition Limitations

 
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2009
"Hamish Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I can see a lot of CGA returns ie: Not fit for the intended
>> purpose.


>
> Imagine if they did that with new cars - rev limited 'starter
> edition'
> at 4,000 rpm, with the option to upgrade to the 'professional'
> version.
>


If we are going for analogies, then perhaps it would be better to say:

"Imagine if they did that with new cars - speed limited 'starter
edition' at 110 kph, with the option to upgrade to the 'professional'
version that will go up to 220 kph".

Alan.

--

The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
My unmunged email is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2009

"Hamish Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I can see a lot of CGA returns ie: Not fit for the intended purpose.

>
> Agreed.
>


Only if the dealer misrepresents the intended purpose of a cheaply
configured netbook running a "Starter Edition" os.


>> Well, they should research their purchases better.

>
> You shouldn't have to investigate something like "will it be able to
> run more than 3 applications at once?". There are plenty of computer
> users who would need the word 'application' defined before they could
> start to make sense of the sentence.
>


The CGA doesn't shield someone from wanton carelessness. Those who are
ignorant about they are buying should get help. Full stop.

> Imagine if they did that with new cars - rev limited 'starter edition'
> at 4,000 rpm, with the option to upgrade to the 'professional'
> version.
>


Imagine if they did that with other software! Oh, wait...they do.

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...nal-budget.jsp
http://www.symantec.com/business/net...tarter-edition
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...m/starter.html


>> If MS were intentionally misleading anyone I would agree.
>> But I don't think they are in this case.

>
> I don't think they're trying to be misleading, nevertheless, I think a
> lot of people will be mislead.
>


Like those people who bought cheap Linux-based netbooks, only to discover
that it wasn't a snap to learn an entirely different os after all. Yes,
these things happen.

> Anywho, I guess we'll wait and see if they actually follow through.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hamish Campbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2009
> Imagine if they did that with other software! Oh, wait...they do.
>
> http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...m/starter.html


In all of those examples, the product has its core features intact and
you pay to get more features and tools.

Interestingly, the *free* Adobe has this to say: "Photoshop Album
Starter Edition 3.2 is not a time-limited or photo-limited download.
It provides basic functionality to get you started editing and sharing
your photos."

The Win7 Starter Edition equivalent would have to say something like
"This is an application-limited operating system."

> Like those people who bought cheap Linux-based netbooks.


No, not at all. Sayings about gift horses come to mind.

I'll stop going on about it now. At the least, I think we can agree
that it is a dumb idea, regardless of whether they can sell it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2009
In message <gqv530$9bk$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus wrote:

> I guess we'll see if they offer a paid upgrade version or not.


They will <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/579/1051579/windows-instant-upgrade-option>.

Another suggestion for trying to get customers to pay full price for full-functional Windows without realizing it is a subsidy deal
<http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/windows_7/windows_starter_is_a_non-starter_on_netbooks.html>.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2009
In article <gr1820$8qo$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Alan wrote:
>> "Hamish Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> I can see a lot of CGA returns ie: Not fit for the intended
>>>> purpose.
>>> Imagine if they did that with new cars - rev limited 'starter
>>> edition'
>>> at 4,000 rpm, with the option to upgrade to the 'professional'
>>> version.

>> If we are going for analogies, then perhaps it would be better to say:
>>
>> "Imagine if they did that with new cars - speed limited 'starter
>> edition' at 110 kph, with the option to upgrade to the 'professional'
>> version that will go up to 220 kph".

>
>I prefer: Starter Edition limited to the first three gears, with the option
>to upgrade to the fourth and then again fifth gears.




That reminded me of that fine cartoon of the calculator salesman saying
something like ...

but it's able to do square root and sin ... that more than makes up for the
lack of the numbers 8 and 9 !

Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2009

"Hamish Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Imagine if they did that with other software! Oh, wait...they do.
>>
>> http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...m/starter.html

>
> In all of those examples, the product has its core features intact and
> you pay to get more features and tools.
>


Same with Windows.

> Interestingly, the *free* Adobe has this to say: "Photoshop Album
> Starter Edition 3.2 is not a time-limited or photo-limited download.
> It provides basic functionality to get you started editing and sharing
> your photos."
>


Same with Windows.

> The Win7 Starter Edition equivalent would have to say something like
> "This is an application-limited operating system."
>


As with the other software, which is why you call it a "Starter Edition".

>>>> If MS were intentionally misleading anyone I would agree.
>>>> But I don't think they are in this case.
>>>


>> I don't think they're trying to be misleading, nevertheless, I think a
>> lot of people will be mislead.
>>


>> Like those people who bought cheap Linux-based netbooks, only to discover
>> that it wasn't a snap to learn an entirely different os after all. Yes,
>> these things happen.


>
> No, not at all. Sayings about gift horses come to mind.
>


Sayings about getting what you pay for come to mind.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Office Starter Non-Starter Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 2 11-24-2009 11:45 PM
"Starter Edition" for Servers Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 1 04-02-2009 04:52 AM
vista starter edition Nick Chan ASP .Net 2 11-16-2007 11:12 AM
Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition disaster - now what? Equinox Digital Photography 16 03-03-2006 02:02 PM
Help - move/rename folders in Adobe Photo Album Starter Edition 3.0 Ken Digital Photography 0 02-05-2006 05:04 PM



Advertisments