Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Looking for good free portable screen capture program

Looking for good free portable screen capture program

- Bobb -

printkey.exe - by Alfred Bollinger .
I have had it on every one of my PC's since Win95.
It's small - works GREAT !
I put it in my startup and runs in systray.

In OPTIONS, you can define :
which key to use,
capture 'window' or 'desktop',
color or B&W
save as - choose any filetype,
etc

I can't find original website, but see it here:
http://tsrsoftware.com/printkey.htm
or
http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/printkey_info.htm

<bobo@.not> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone suggest a good free portable screen capture
> program that can be carried and run independantly with
> a thumb drive?
>
> Thanks!
> bo

Jeff Strickland

Can't you just press ALT+PrtScrn and save the result as a JPG?

You do know that ALT+PrtScrn records the current active window/dialog box,
right? PrtScrn records the entire screen, but ALT+PrtScrn just records the
dialog box that is open.

<bobo@.not> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone suggest a good free portable screen capture
> program that can be carried and run independantly with
> a thumb drive?
>
> Thanks!
> bo

geoff

On winblows, one can do alt or ctrl prtscrn and paste it into MS Paint then
save it as a bmp.

Something else would have to be used to convert it to jpg, AFAIK.

--g

Jeff Strickland

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VqaAl.238769$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> On winblows, one can do alt or ctrl prtscrn and paste it into MS Paint
> then save it as a bmp.
>
> Something else would have to be used to convert it to jpg, AFAIK.

You can ALT+PRTSCRN and paste the results into Windows Photo Editor which
saves to a JPG by default. I'm sure one could do the same with a photo
editor such as IrfanView.

Grabbing the screen shot is the easy part, processing it through your
favorite photo editor is the hard part, and that's easy. IrfanView is free,
MSoft Photo Editor is a fee program that comes with Office.

bobo@.not

Can anyone suggest a good free portable screen capture
program that can be carried and run independantly with
a thumb drive?

Thanks!
bo

VanguardLH

bobo@.not wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good free portable screen capture
> program that can be carried and run independantly with
> a thumb drive?

Okay, this one for yucks: Use a digital camera. Don't have to even
connect it to the computer to snapshot its monitor output. Don't have
to install software. Don't have to get stuck on a system that doesn't
let you run unauthorized processes (i.e., they whitelist the allowed
processes and all others are blocked). Don't have to do something
you're not supposed to on a kiosk host. Don't even need a login to the
host whose monitor you are snapshotting. About as independent as you
can get.

Fishface

bobo wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good free portable screen capture
> program that can be carried and run independantly with a
> thumb drive?

Not free, but it has 30 day free functional trial. Does menus.
http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

Juarez

<bobo@.not> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone suggest a good free portable screen capture
> program that can be carried and run independantly with
> a thumb drive?
>
> Thanks!
> bo

Never used this but I think it is what you are looking for.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utiliti...creen_portable

~BD~

VanguardLH wrote:
> bobo@.not wrote:
>
>> Can anyone suggest a good free portable screen capture
>> program that can be carried and run independantly with
>> a thumb drive?

> Okay, this one for yucks: Use a digital camera. Don't have to even
> connect it to the computer to snapshot its monitor output. Don't have
> to install software. Don't have to get stuck on a system that doesn't
> let you run unauthorized processes (i.e., they whitelist the allowed
> processes and all others are blocked). Don't have to do something
> you're not supposed to on a kiosk host. Don't even need a login to the
> host whose monitor you are snapshotting. About as independent as you
> can get.

Hi VanguardLH

I have a not-so-young neighbour who does exactly that! It works!
--
Dave

Fishface

> Not free, but it has 30 day free functional trial. Does menus.
> http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

Oh. Perhaps not so portable...