Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Limit In & Out Bandwitch on a port of Cisco 3550 IOS ?

Limit In & Out Bandwitch on a port of Cisco 3550 IOS ?

Mag

Hi

I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :

I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out

if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
are full, drop the packet.

It's possible ?

thanks
Mag

Mag

Mag a écrit :
> Hi
>

> I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
> one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
>
> I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
> I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
>
> if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
> are full, drop the packet.
>
> It's possible ?
>
> thanks
> Mag

Small information:

Limitation based on port, not IP because the port are connected to a
other switch and it's possible in the futur that they have a second
server

bod43

On 30 Mar, 12:44, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
> one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
>
> I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
> I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
>
> if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
> are full, drop the packet.

Er......
Set the port to 10M. Perfect.

You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
opaque. It's like assembly language programming.

Mag

bod43 a écrit :
> On 30 Mar, 12:44, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
>> one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
>>
>> I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
>> I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
>>
>> if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
>> are full, drop the packet.

> Er......
> Set the port to 10M. Perfect.
>
> You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
> tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
> opaque. It's like assembly language programming.

no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits.
it's a 100/1000 port

Stephen

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:23:17 +0200, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>bod43 a écrit :
>> On 30 Mar, 12:44, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
>>> one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
>>>
>>> I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
>>> I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
>>>
>>> if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
>>> are full, drop the packet.

>> Er......
>> Set the port to 10M. Perfect.
>>
>> You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
>> tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
>> opaque. It's like assembly language programming.
>>

>no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits.
>it's a 100/1000 port

possible theoretical way to do it (as in i have done something like
this in a lab on a Cat 6509 running IOS, but not a 3550).

set up a new vlan, 2 ports, no trunking

1 [port connects to your server.
1 port loops back to the original port on the 3550.
force the 2 looped ports to 10 / full
disable CDP on the looped ports so the switch doesnt have hysterics.

result is 100M port on device talks to switch, switch traffic goes
out, via a 10M limit, and back in again.

But really be much easier on something like a 3560 with the port
limiting......
--
Regards

bod43

On 30 Mar, 21:19, Stephen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:23:17 +0200, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >bod43 a écrit :

> >> Er......
> >> Set the port to 10M. Perfect.

> >> You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
> >> tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
> >> opaque. It's like assembly language programming.

> >no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits.
> >it's a 100/1000 port

> possible theoretical way to do it (as in i have done something like
> this in a lab on a Cat 6509 running IOS, but not a 3550).
>
> set up a new vlan, 2 ports, no trunking
>
> 1 [port connects to your server.
> 1 port loops back to the original port on the 3550.
> force the 2 looped ports to 10 / full
> disable CDP on the looped ports so the switch doesnt have hysterics.
>
> result is 100M port on device talks to switch, switch traffic goes
> out, via a 10M limit, and back in again.

Yes, *yes*, YES. This is the easy solution.

> But really be much easier on something like a 3560 with the port
> limiting......

You can alternativley spend days 'n' days trying to figure
out the QoS only perhaps to find out that you can't quite
manage exactly what you are trying to do.

You can very likely sort out the output but the input is
likely to be more challenging or impossible.

fugettaboutit

Try ingress/egress policing:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...5.shtml#sample

Stephen wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:23:17 +0200, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> bod43 a écrit :

>>> Er......
>>> Set the port to 10M. Perfect.
>>>
>>> You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
>>> tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
>>> opaque. It's like assembly language programming.
>>>

>> no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits.
>> it's a 100/1000 port

> possible theoretical way to do it (as in i have done something like
> this in a lab on a Cat 6509 running IOS, but not a 3550).
>
> set up a new vlan, 2 ports, no trunking
>
> 1 [port connects to your server.
> 1 port loops back to the original port on the 3550.
> force the 2 looped ports to 10 / full
> disable CDP on the looped ports so the switch doesnt have hysterics.
>
> result is 100M port on device talks to switch, switch traffic goes
> out, via a 10M limit, and back in again.
>
> But really be much easier on something like a 3560 with the port
> limiting......

How to limit badwith in CISCO CATALYST 3550 Yena Cisco 0 04-15-2004 10:07 AM
bandwitch limiting Jeroen Cisco 2 12-29-2003 05:36 AM
Re: Differences between 3550-24-SMI and 3550-24-EMI Steinar Haug Cisco 0 10-20-2003 02:59 PM
Differences between 3550-24-SMI and 3550-24-EMI JohnNews Cisco 10 10-20-2003 12:33 PM
Catalyst 3550 EMI Upgrade Kit (CD-3550-EMI=) problem! show version = SMI desdronox Cisco 1 07-10-2003 02:08 AM

Advertisments