Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HP re-install

HP re-install

Recently I had to do a re-install on a HP machine.

XP had crashed so that it wouldn't fully boot, caught in a loop, not even
getting to the F8- select safe-start stage.

After I had re-installed XP using a CD. I noticed another partition during
the install.

I tried to boot to it but was unable. There was no floppy drive and I
guess'd I would need a bootable CD with Fdisk on it to make the partition
active.

anyway, I gave up on that and installed XP with the CD.

After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
files.

How do you access it properly on a re-install?

wisdomkiller & pain

d wrote:

> anyway, I gave up on that and installed XP with the CD.
>
> After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
> files.
>
> How do you access it properly on a re-install?

HP should have provided a (set of) recovery media, most probably a cd which
is bootable and gives a menu.

larrylaundry@yahoo.com

d wrote:
> Recently I had to do a re-install on a HP machine.
>
> XP had crashed so that it wouldn't fully boot, caught in a loop, not even
> getting to the F8- select safe-start stage.
>
> After I had re-installed XP using a CD. I noticed another partition during
> the install.
>
> I tried to boot to it but was unable. There was no floppy drive and I
> guess'd I would need a bootable CD with Fdisk on it to make the partition
> active.
>
> anyway, I gave up on that and installed XP with the CD.
>
> After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
> files.
>
> How do you access it properly on a re-install?

I just wipe the drives or the partition and use it for something else.
But I believe you can get a utility from the hp
site

I wonder if it is to create a restore cd or if it's a recovery
partition.

Bill

wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
> d wrote:

>> anyway, I gave up on that and installed XP with the CD.
>>
>> After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
>> files.
>>
>> How do you access it properly on a re-install?

> HP should have provided a (set of) recovery media, most probably a cd which
> is bootable and gives a menu.

It is a 4 gig recovery and restore partition. Method of access and use
is listed in Help and the partition can be reset, formatted and used
from Disk Management. I have the same system with XP Home that I
upgraded to XP Pro and no longer needed the 'stuff' in the partition.

>> After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged
>> re-install
>> files.
>>
>> How do you access it properly on a re-install?

> I just wipe the drives or the partition and use it for something else.
> But I believe you can get a utility from the hp
> site
>
> I wonder if it is to create a restore cd or if it's a recovery
> partition.

Yeh, the machine must of come with a recovery CD.

Couldn't get to the disk managment or any function keys because it wasn't
booting that far.

Didn't find anything useful on HP's website. I didn't look to hard though,
job done, can't remember the model.

Ta anyway

Aardvark

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:43:04 +0000, d wrote:

> the machine must of come

Must HAVE come.

>> the machine must of come

> Must HAVE come.

lololol, was working to hard on getting the apostrophes right.

Aardvark

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:31:05 +0000, d wrote:

>>> the machine must of come

>> Must HAVE come.

> lololol, was working to hard on getting the apostrophes right.

Or should that be 'apostrophe's'? Hmmm?