Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > how to find the website root physical path

how to find the website root physical path

AAaron123

Thanks
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The easiest way to find the website root application's
> physical path is with Server.MapPath(Request.ApplicationPath).
>
> Server.MapPath(Request.ApplicationPath) gives you the string you need to
> pass the
> application's physical path to SQLServer 2008 to create a database in a
> specified folder.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> =========================
> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I need to pass the physical path to SQLServer 2008 to create a database in
>>a specified folder.
>>
>> It works OK if I use the long newFolder string I show below.
>>
>> But not if I add the newFolder = "/" statement.
>>
>> Can you figure a way to do that?
>>

>> Dim newFolder As String = "I:\My Documents\Visual Studio
>> 2008\WebSites\MySite\App_Data\"
>>
>> newFolder = "/"
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> There's no need to know the physical path, nor should you use it even if
>>> you knew it. You should ALWAYS be using relative paths within your
>>> site.
>>>
>>> You can always specify the root of the site by simply adding a
>>> forward-slash (/) to any relative reference.
>>>
>>> So, to get to your default page, you would simply need a path of
>>> "/default.aspx".
>>>
>>> If you were on page2 and needed a reference to page1, you'd do it
>>> relatively by indicating you need to go up one directory (to the parent
>>> folder of subfolder2) by using "../" and then indicating that you need
>>> to go into subfolder1 and finally page1: "../subfolder1/page1.aspx"
>>>
>>> The reason you don't want to use physcial paths is that they can change
>>> over time and between development and production servers. Relative
>>> paths should stay consistent.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>

>>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23xI%(E-Mail Removed)...

AAaron123

That great!

Thanks a lot.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Mar 30, 3:33 pm, "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks for your extensive comments below.
> I'm not confident I really understand so I wrote some stuff below hoping
> you'll indicate agreement or disagreement.
> I know it's really too much to expect you to wade through but I can hope!
>
> If I open IIS on my machine and expand I see:
> My machine name(local computer)
> Web Sites
> Default Web Site
> many folder names including the what is my application root if I
> understand your note below (because it contains web.config, bin-folder,
> etc.)
> Properties show the path to be
> I:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\WebSites\MySite
> so this isthe application folder for my site
>
> I used IE to openhttp://localhost
> and got tohttp://localhost/localstart.asp
> I find that file in
> C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
>
> So is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot a web root folder
> Is there an Application frolder that goes with this?
>
> When I run my site I seehttp://localhost:1350/MySite/Default.aspx
> so is /MySite my web root folder
>
> In this case the web and root folder are the same.
> But they need not be?
>
> If they are not how can I get vb to give me the string
> I:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\WebSites\MySite\App_Data

Aaron,

In your example,

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot is the web (domain) root folder pointed to
http://localhost
I:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\WebSites\MySite is the application
root of http://localhost:1350/MySite/

The port number of 1350 tells me that you are using ASP.NET
development server from VS.NET, and this is maybe why you were
confused by difference in localhost vs. localhost:1350. To make this
more clear you just need to know following thing: a typical web
application is a set of web pages (web forms), other files and
directories, linked to each other. A website could have one or more
web applications. Go to IIS, open a website properties, go to Home
Directory tab. You will see an area with Application settings.
Navigate to a any subdirectory in your website in IIS, again open
Properties - Directory. You will see again Application settings. If
settings are grayed out, subdirectory is a part of the parent
application. Once you clicked Create you will mark that directory as a
new web application.

To get I:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\WebSites\MySite\App_Data use

Server.MapPath("~/App_Data")