Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > scrollbars: required standards or tradition?

scrollbars: required standards or tradition?

C A Upsdell

>>> Just to see how it would look, I tried putting the scrollbar of a
>>> fixed dimension division on the left, rather than the default right.
>>>
>>> I was wondering, is it more of a tradition to have only a right side
>>> scrollbar, as opposed to left, or is it absolutely required in Latin
>>> based languages?

>> The left scroll bar will likely confuse users, making the site harder to
>> use.

> People have been brainwashed into thinking that because it's always
> done that way, that is the only way it can be done.
>
> If one wants to advance technology, then one must think "outside of
> the box" instead of living within it.
>
> So are you a sheeple or a shepherd?

So, if we put content in two columns, we should put the scroll bar in
the centre?

Or perhaps we can add excitement to the user's experience and place the
scrollbar at random positions: now *that* is truly thinking outside the
box ... as well as inside the straight-jacket

richard

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:05:36 -0400, C A Upsdell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> The left scroll bar will likely confuse users, making the site harder to
>>> use.

>> People have been brainwashed into thinking that because it's always
>> done that way, that is the only way it can be done.
>>
>> If one wants to advance technology, then one must think "outside of
>> the box" instead of living within it.
>>
>> So are you a sheeple or a shepherd?

>So, if we put content in two columns, we should put the scroll bar in
>the centre?
>
>Or perhaps we can add excitement to the user's experience and place the
>scrollbar at random positions: now *that* is truly thinking outside the
>box ... as well as inside the straight-jacket

If thomas edison had given up, would we be here today as we are?

asdf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> People have been brainwashed into thinking that because it's always
>>> done that way, that is the only way it can be done.
>>>
>>> If one wants to advance technology, then one must think "outside of
>>> the box" instead of living within it.
>>>
>>> So are you a sheeple or a shepherd?

>>So, if we put content in two columns, we should put the scroll bar in
>>the centre?
>>
>>Or perhaps we can add excitement to the user's experience and place the
>>scrollbar at random positions: now *that* is truly thinking outside the
>>box ... as well as inside the straight-jacket

> If thomas edison had given up, would we be here today as we are?

Arrant nonsense. Edison had original, useful ideas. You are proposing
changing something for something new for the sake of newness, and not for
any functional reason.

Using your logic, if we could have square incandecent light globes we
should, because they are different from the bulb shaped ones.

You are proposing changing something for the *wrong reasons*. Your reason
for changing the scrollbar is that it is different, and NOT because it
actually improves the utilitiarian value of same.

Woolly thinking perhaps?

dorayme

In article
<49d04bb5$0$29894$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > If thomas edison had given up, would we be here today as we are?

> Arrant nonsense. Edison had original, useful ideas. You are proposing
> changing something for something new for the sake of newness, and not for
> any functional reason.

It is not arrant nonsense. Richard is the future and you and I are the
past. He is our hope. I say more strength to his left (scrolling) hand.

--
dorayme

asdf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article
> <49d04bb5$0$29894$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > If thomas edison had given up, would we be here today as we are?

>> Arrant nonsense. Edison had original, useful ideas. You are proposing
>> changing something for something new for the sake of newness, and not for
>> any functional reason.
>>

> It is not arrant nonsense. Richard is the future and you and I are the
> past. He is our hope. I say more strength to his left (scrolling) hand.

How sinister ('Sinestre' .... j/k)

> --
> dorayme

rf

dorayme wrote:
> In article
> <49d04bb5$0$29894$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If thomas edison had given up, would we be here today as we are?

>> Arrant nonsense. Edison had original, useful ideas. You are proposing
>> changing something for something new for the sake of newness, and
>> not for any functional reason.
>>

> It is not arrant nonsense. Richard is the future and you and I are the
> past. He is our hope. I say more strength to his left (scrolling)
> hand.

Nothing ****es me off more than to suddenly realize, half way through a
tennis match, that my out wide ad court serves with spin to put them into
the fence are coming back all the time because the bloke standing in that
corner is... left handed

If I see a scroll bar then I expect the stuff to the *left* of it to go up
and down. Just like when I see a scroll bar at the bottom of the page I
expect the stuff to move left and right, not up and down.

Takes me ages to get the lights working when I go to the U S of A. Why can't
"move the switch *down* to activate" be the same everywhere?

dorayme

In article <KUZzl.1519$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article
> > <49d04bb5$0$29894$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Arrant nonsense ...
> >>

> > It is not arrant nonsense. Richard is the future and you and I are the
> > past. He is our hope. I say more strength to his left (scrolling)
> > hand.

> If I see a scroll bar then I expect the stuff to the *left* of it to go up
> and down. Just like when I see a scroll bar at the bottom of the page I
> expect the stuff to move left and right, not up and down.

These are mere Humean expectations, be careful of being like Bertrand
Russell's chicken.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last
wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the
uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken."

Richard is going to transform the face of the web and you can either get
on board and be alive to uncommon experiences or be left behind. There
is no use at all carping from the sidelines. It is going to be basic,
and it is going to run, and in unexpected directions.

--
dorayme

John Hosking

asdf wrote:
> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> It is not arrant nonsense. Richard is the future and you and I are the
>> past. He is our hope. I say more strength to his left (scrolling) hand.
>>

> How sinister ('Sinestre' .... j/k)

Don't be so gauche.

>> --
>> dorayme

BTW: Your automatic and manual .sig trimming mechanisms are both broken.

--
John
Always attempting to be adroit.

Harlan Messinger

richard wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:47:52 -0400, C A Upsdell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:
>>> Just to see how it would look, I tried putting the scrollbar of a
>>> fixed dimension division on the left, rather than the default right.
>>>
>>> I was wondering, is it more of a tradition to have only a right side
>>> scrollbar, as opposed to left, or is it absolutely required in Latin
>>> based languages?

>> The left scroll bar will likely confuse users, making the site harder to
>> use.

> Years ago during one superbowl there was an advertisement that
> appeared only once and changed the way things were done.
>
> People have been brainwashed into thinking that because it's always
> done that way, that is the only way it can be done.
>
> If one wants to advance technology, then one must think "outside of
> the box" instead of living within it.
>
> So are you a sheeple or a shepherd?

In other words, we should appreciate the scrollbar on the left because
it makes you look creative? (As far as creativity goes, "Hey, let me put
this thing that's usually on the right, on the left instead" is right up
there with, "Hey, I always watch TV from the left side of the couch. Let
me try sitting on the right side of the couch!")

There is a very good reason why uniform ways of doing many things
involved. Familiarity makes life a lot easier for everybody. Look up the
concept of "usability".

If there were a substantial *advantage* to putting the scrollbar on the
left, it could be worth trying, but (a) there isn't any and (b) if there
were, it would have been figured out a long time ago.

Harlan Messinger

richard wrote:

>>> People have been brainwashed into thinking that because it's always
>>> done that way, that is the only way it can be done.
>>>
>>> If one wants to advance technology, then one must think "outside of
>>> the box" instead of living within it.
>>>
>>> So are you a sheeple or a shepherd?

>> So, if we put content in two columns, we should put the scroll bar in
>> the centre?
>>
>> Or perhaps we can add excitement to the user's experience and place the
>> scrollbar at random positions: now *that* is truly thinking outside the
>> box ... as well as inside the straight-jacket

> If thomas edison had given up, would we be here today as we are?

Huh? Thomas Edison came up with new and useful inventions. Putting the
scrollbar on the left is not a new and useful invention.

Create a VD with required properties on a required Web Server (Windows Advanced Server 2000 has 3 Web Servers) Just D. ASP .Net 0 03-10-2006 06:02 AM
Evolving Web App Standards and ASP.NET =?Utf-8?B?bWtsYXBw?= ASP .Net 4 07-20-2004 07:52 AM
asp.net and Web Accessibility Standards Paul G ASP .Net 1 02-26-2004 10:26 PM
coding standards Jim Culver ASP .Net 4 09-18-2003 02:59 AM
coding standards shbgupta ASP .Net 2 06-27-2003 08:48 AM

Advertisments