Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > scrollbars: required standards or tradition?

scrollbars: required standards or tradition?

rf

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> asdf wrote:
>
>> .. I've just had a great idea... why doesn't America change the
>> traffic rules so they all drive on the left hand side of the road?

> Ha! You beat me to it. I was going to suggest RtS put his users in
> British cars on his American roads (right-hand steering on right-side
> roads). I can just envision the piles of smashed minivans and soccer
> moms at all the intersections...

New Zealand is considering changing from driving on the left to driving on
the right, as a courtesy to all the European and American trourists who
visit there and spend lots of money.

They are starting with just buses and trucks as a trial.

> Why screw with the users just because you can?

If somebody, anybody, anywhere provides some option that helps to convuse
users then somebody, somewhere, will use that option to confuse their users.
RtS has just proved this.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> Just for you since you're to [sic] young to know about it.

<LOL!> Son, I was around when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. I saw
the commercial live during the game.

> The opening scene showed a very large group of people sitting in front
> of a huge tv screen. All looked alike, dressed alike and sat there
> with blank stares. Mostly the scene appeared in black and white. Then
> in comes this gal wearing an athletic outfit, looking like she had
> just finished a hearty workout, and in her hand was a huge hammer, of
> which she threw at the tv screen which broke it.

Yeah, exactly like the youtube link I gave you. Did you miss that?

> In simpler terms, "It's time to break the long over used mold and get
> on with something new". Since it aired that one time, many things and
> the way things were done were changed.

As I recall, the commercial was shown on air numerous additional times.
Not counting recent "best of superbowl ads" programs.

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

rf wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> asdf wrote:
>>> .. I've just had a great idea... why doesn't America change the
>>> traffic rules so they all drive on the left hand side of the road?

>> Ha! You beat me to it. I was going to suggest RtS put his users in
>> British cars on his American roads (right-hand steering on
>> right-side roads). I can just envision the piles of smashed minivans
>> and soccer moms at all the intersections...

> New Zealand is considering changing from driving on the left to
> driving on the right, as a courtesy to all the European and American
> trourists who visit there and spend lots of money.

Like Sweden did a number of years ago...

> They are starting with just buses and trucks as a trial.

<lol!> Cute!

>> Why screw with the users just because you can?

> If somebody, anybody, anywhere provides some option that helps to
> convuse users then somebody, somewhere, will use that option to
> confuse their users. RtS has just proved this.

He found an option in his RunBasic and couldn't resist.

--
-bts

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty feverishly typed:

> Ha! You beat me to it. I was going to suggest RtS put his users in
> British cars on his American roads (right-hand steering on right-side
> roads). I can just envision the piles of smashed minivans and soccer
> moms at all the intersections...

And add into that, the other standard feature of a British (or pretty much
any other non-American) car - the gearstick and clutch combination.

> Why screw with the users just because you can?

Precisely!

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss | http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Email not valid. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - take the dog out!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

nice.guy.nige wrote:

> While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty feverishly typed:
>> Ha! You beat me to it. I was going to suggest RtS put his users in
>> British cars on his American roads (right-hand steering on
>> right-side roads). I can just envision the piles of smashed minivans
>> and soccer moms at all the intersections...

> And add into that, the other standard feature of a British (or pretty
> much any other non-American) car - the gearstick and clutch
> combination.

In right-hand drive cars, don't you use your left foot for the
accelerator and the right foot for the brake? <wink>

>> Why screw with the users just because you can?

> Precisely!

Blame the author of RunBasic for providing the option... else RtS would
have never thought of it. But he's a sheeple, so he used it.

--
-bts

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty feverishly typed:

> Brainwashed? Oh, the Mac parody of "1984?" That certainly has been
> shown more than once.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Ah yes, I remember this advert from my much younger years. I remember it
airing many times, over here in the UK and being quite impressed by it. It
wasn't - however - (as the OP attests) some kind of groundbreaking leftfield
concept that "couldn't possibly work in the way we do things", there were
plenty of adverts at the time which did far more outrageous things than
parody a film...

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss | http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Email not valid. (E-Mail Removed) - take the dog out!

Neredbojias

On 29 Mar 2009, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> asdf wrote:
>>
>>> .. I've just had a great idea... why doesn't America change the
>>> traffic rules so they all drive on the left hand side of the road?

>> Ha! You beat me to it. I was going to suggest RtS put his users in
>> British cars on his American roads (right-hand steering on
>> right-side roads). I can just envision the piles of smashed minivans
>> and soccer moms at all the intersections...

> New Zealand is considering changing from driving on the left to
> driving on the right, as a courtesy to all the European and American
> trourists who visit there and spend lots of money.
>
> They are starting with just buses and trucks as a trial.

Oh? New Zealand's a favorite teamster spot, huh?

--
Neredbojias
People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty feverishly typed:

> In right-hand drive cars, don't you use your left foot for the
> accelerator and the right foot for the brake? <wink>

Depends if you are desparate for the toilet or not!

>>> Why screw with the users just because you can?

>> Precisely!

> Blame the author of RunBasic for providing the option... else RtS
> would have never thought of it. But he's a sheeple, so he used it.

Will "sheeple" be entering the alt.html lexicon, alongside "proffesional
web dresigner"?

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss | http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Email not valid. (E-Mail Removed) - take the dog out!
"You're mother ate my dog!", "Not all of him..."

freemont

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:48:34 +1100, dorayme writ:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just to see how it would look, I tried putting the scrollbar of a fixed
>> dimension division on the left, rather than the default right.
>>
>> I was wondering, is it more of a tradition to have only a right side
>> scrollbar, as opposed to left, or is it absolutely required in Latin
>> based languages?

> Originally, it was proposed to have diagonal scrollbars, they were
> supposed to have a sort of vector function to operate both horizontally
> and vertically via the one bar. The software was brilliant and worked
> fine after it was discovered that there was an optimum shape to the bar:
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/wigglyscrolling.png>

lol! Niiiice one.

> But the big drawback was that it blocked the view of the content.
> Various transparency tricks were used but the whole project ended in
> failure. It was moved to the traditional right and bottom.
>
> But I encourage you to experiment and shake up our well worn habits. I
> look to young exciting experimenters like you with your various projects
> to keep us all from going stale. Good on you, mate!

He also plans to require right-button clicks and to use right-to-left
text. !gnihtyreve egnahc ll'tI
--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

dorayme

In article <db410$49d00668$ae83115c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> He also plans to require right-button clicks and to use right-to-left
> text. !gnihtyreve egnahc ll'tI

Ah now... left to right text... no, Richard would not go that far. That
is messing with content, not just style, or is it?

Would the spooky real content somehow *really* be there somehow:

<head>
<title>The Fox</title>
body {direction: rtl;}
p {unicode-bidi: bidi-override;}
</head>

--
dorayme

Create a VD with required properties on a required Web Server (Windows Advanced Server 2000 has 3 Web Servers) Just D. ASP .Net 0 03-10-2006 06:02 AM
Evolving Web App Standards and ASP.NET =?Utf-8?B?bWtsYXBw?= ASP .Net 4 07-20-2004 07:52 AM
asp.net and Web Accessibility Standards Paul G ASP .Net 1 02-26-2004 10:26 PM
coding standards Jim Culver ASP .Net 4 09-18-2003 02:59 AM
coding standards shbgupta ASP .Net 2 06-27-2003 08:48 AM

Advertisments